SBP candidates debate important topics

Student body president candidate Christy Lambden received another round of endorsements Wednesday night at the third annual Great South Campus Debate.

The five candidates discussed campus safety, reaching out to minorities and student groups, gender-neutral housing and fund allocation on campus.

The debate was co-hosted by the Black Student Movement, the Residence Hall Association and National Residence Hall Honorary.

Lambden — who has already been endorsed by the Dialectic and Philanthropic Societies, the UNC College Republicans and Young Democrats — also picked up endorsements from all three committees Wednesday night.

All of the candidates recognized candidate Kevin Claybren’s work with gender-neutral housing as a great accomplishment and vowed to continue these efforts if elected student body president.

Claybren said he found his passion at the University by getting involved with gender-neutral housing.

“We need to continue dialogue with administration and staff, come in contact with voices that aren’t being heard and build people up to the point where they can challenge what’s going on on this campus,” he said.

The candidates also stressed the importance of safety. Candidate Rob Jones said safety is one of the issues he is most passionate about.

“The moment you get here, we want you to feel safe,” he said. “And to do that we need to educate you on standing up, to stand up for yourself and to stand up and speak out for those who don’t feel that they can speak up for themselves.”

Lambden said his platform is based on two main points — safety and reforming the Carolina Advocacy Committee of student government.

“We have to invite different presidents from different organizations, pull them into one committee so that we have a direct access, a direct link back to the communities that they have been elected to represent,” Lambden said.

Candidate Hetali Lodaya also discussed empowering student organizations to take advantage of the resources they have on campus, including student government.

“The first way to build those connections and resources is reaching out to multicultural organizations on campus and making sure they’re involved,” she said.

As chairman of the Carolina Advocacy Committee, candidate Will Lindsey said it was important for student organizations to be part of student government’s executive cabinet and to be involved in their weekly meetings and dialogues.

“As student body president, I would make sure that either a delegate or your president will be a part of the student government, no matter what,” he said.

“Student government needs to be the forum. It’s not our job to step on your toes — it’s student government’s job to empower you,” he said.

Each of the five also supports having a fee to promote a more eco-friendly campus with incentives such as installing more solar panels.

Lambden, a representative on the student fee audit committee, said student leaders need to re-evaluate what the fees are currently going toward.

“In tough economic times, we have to create efficiency and make sure we are getting the best value for every dollar,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.