UNC student groups sing the blues at FRANK

Blues Night A Capella at 6:00 pm in FRANK Gallery. Three UNC A Capella groups performed blues music; Achordants, The Loreleis, and Walk-ons.

FRANK Gallery is combining art and music to counter the winter blues.

As part of its new “Blues” exhibition, FRANK is hosting a series of Thursday night salons — evenings of music and performances that incorporate various UNC student groups.

Thursday’s salon, dubbed “Blues A Cappella Night,” featured performances by the UNC Walk-Ons, the Loreleis and the UNC Achordants.

Azul Zapata, president of the UNC Walk-Ons — whose first name coincidentally translates to “blue” — said the Walk-Ons were very excited for this change in performance venue.

“We do a lot of student organization events on campus where we go and sing for this cause or that cause,” Zapata said.

“So this is cool because it’s an event that’s technically still related to campus, but it’s not centered around students. It’s a little more on the commercial side.”

Katherine McIlwain, president of the Loreleis, said the group loves supporting other areas of the arts in and around campus.

“We want to pick up on the bluesy feel, so we’ll be singing a little John Mayer, as well as ‘Carolina Girls,’ which is one of our favorites,” McIlwain said.

“And for anyone coming to listen to the music, hopefully they’ll get to see some art that they haven’t had a chance to experience before.”

The gallery’s latest exhibition, “Blues,” features works from FRANK’s own member artists as well as invited artists.

Each artist explores his or her own ideas and feelings about the color blue and what it signifies.

“The idea is that the blues can be a musical form or a color or a feeling,” said Peg Bachenheimer, one of FRANK’s member artists.

The groups were invited to perform at the FRANK through the gallery’s partnership with UNC ARTery.

Kayla Hill, a member of the ARTery, has been a liaison between the two groups, organizing each of the Thursday night salons.

Hill said FRANK was very interested in building a stronger connection with UNC students.

“I definitely don’t think that a lot of students have been to FRANK or other art galleries in the area,” Hill said.

“So this is a great opportunity to merge the arts on campus with the local community.”

Bachenheimer agreed, saying she hopes more students will come to the gallery.

“We’re right there on Franklin Street,” she said.

“And we like students to feel free to come in and understand that FRANK is for everyone.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.