UNC alumnus works to cure hangovers in clinic

The morning after a night out can be miserable, but one UNC alumnus is taking a shot at curing hangovers.

Dr. Jason Burke, who attended UNC as an undergraduate and graduate student, is the founder of Hangover Heaven, a medical clinic in Las Vegas dedicated to the treatment of hangovers.

“I did my fair share of partying and definitely had my fair share of hangovers,” Burke said of his time at UNC.

Burke graduated from the UNC School of Medicine in 1996 and completed his anesthesiology residency at the Duke University School of Medicine in 2001. He realized while working as an anesthesiologist that post-surgery symptoms were similar to those after a hangover.

“I always knew that (hangovers were) a problem that needed to be solved,” he said.

Hangover Heaven treats about 40 people every weekend, he said, though fluctuations occur during different parts of the year. For example, the clinic treated 70 people on Superbowl Sunday alone.

Burke said the average clientele is 43-year-old men and 32-year-old women who make more than $100,000 a year who stay in upscale hotels.

“These are people who want to make the most of their vacation,” Burke said. “They don’t want to lay around in their room sick for eight hours.”

The clinic treats patients by pumping hydration fluid through an IV, supplemented with various medications, vitamins and antioxidants.

The “Redemption Package” is the least expensive and costs $99 for one liter of hydration fluid and the patient’s choice of nausea medicine, headache medicine or vitamins and antioxidants. The most expensive package costs $199.

Some clients go so far as to book treatments in advance in preparation for a wild night out, he said. For example, he said, a client has already scheduled an appointment for December.

The company also owns a 45-foot tour bus staffed with about three members of the Hangover Heaven staff for treating patients on-the-go.

“People would call us up, tell us that they were at Caesars Palace, and we would come by and pick them up,” Burke said.

Michael Goodling, an alcohol and other drug intervention specialist at UNC’s Campus Health Services, said although he cannot speak to Burke’s treatment, the best method of treating a hangover is staying hydrated.

“To avoid a painful hangover, it’s important to set a limit for yourself and alternate between alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks,” he said.

Junior Catherine Hipps said when she goes out, she sticks to nonsugary drinks and stocks up on carbohydrates.

Hipps said she could not justify paying a large amount for a hangover cure.

“But props to (Burke) for getting people to pay,” she said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.