Bright future for town of Hillsborough

Among a crowd of about 40 people gathered in the Hillsborough Town Barn on Monday night, Mayor Tom Stevens looked to the town’s bright future.

In his annual State of the Town Address, Stevens spoke highly of Hillsborough, saying the area fosters a sense of community and gives visitors the opportunity to experience an authentic Southern town.

“It really is our best asset,” he said.

Another one of the town’s assets — Churton Street, the main street in Hillsborough — had been awarded the title of “Great Main Street” by the North Carolina Chapter of the American Planning Association in 2012.

Stevens said the street will add new restaurants, a new preschool and day care, and newly expanded businesses in the coming year.

Despite the town’s recent growth in business, Hillsborough’s population has grown by fewer than 700 people from 2000-10 — its lowest population growth in the past three decades.

While the town hasn’t grown significantly in population, Stevens said it has grown in vibrancy.

He said the town has increased its emphasis on tourism, drawing visitors to its downtown historic district.

Stevens also recognized the quality of the town’s infrastructure, including the expansion of the Hillsborough Wastewater Treatment Plant — which he said is on time and under budget.

The new facility is expected to make Hillsborough’s water some of the best-treated in the nation.

“We can flush with confidence,” Stevens said, drawing laughs from the crowd in the packed town barn.

Hillsborough officials echoed the mayor’s positive outlook.

Hillsborough Fire Marshal Jerry Wagner said he is excited about the future of the town, especially the planned Riverwalk.

The Riverwalk is a 1.3-mile greenway that would run beside the Eno River through downtown Hillsborough to the Historic Occoneechee Speedway Trail.

Wagner said the trail will offer variety for people who want to get exercise without having to deal with traffic.

Hillsborough Town Manager Eric Peterson also spoke optimistically about the future of Hillsborough.

He said the town’s budget looks more promising this year than in previous years.

“I’m actually excited that I don’t have any bad news this year,” he said.

Peterson said it is important for residents to be able to see the fruits of their tax money.

Stevens said town officials are looking to invest strategically and minimize the impact of taxes on citizens.

“We also believe very much in investing in our people,” he said.

Stevens said he hopes residents will find community, heritage and prosperity in Hillsborough in the future.

“Hillsborough is a great place. We know that,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.