Orange County commissioners outline proposed projects

When the Orange County Board of Commissioners gathered on Tuesday, it took a first look at a proposed $209 million Capital Investment Plan that would span the next five years.

The plan outlines the county’s major spending projects, including a new jail that would cost an estimated $30 million and a new $8.1 million library. The plan will be finalized in June after the county budget is adopted.

Taxpayers will shoulder some of the funding for these proposed projects, but County Manager Frank Clifton said the county will also tap additional revenue sources.

“We would sell debt and then finance it,” Clifton said. “Some projects have revenue streams associated with them or grant funding for them, while some would be funded by fees, like the solid waste project.”

Clifton said the new plan differs minimally from previous spending plans, but it does have some large ticket items.

“(The number of projects) is probably in the same range,” Clifton said. “There are some larger projects in the area this time, though.”

While commissioners have had little time to discuss the specifics of the plan, commissioner Earl McKee has already noted a concern.

McKee said he takes issue with a proposed $875,000 investment in the first of three planned emergency medical services substations.

“The only concern I might have is the inclusion of an EMS station,” McKee said. “I don’t think we need that in year one.”

Commissioners will have the opportunity to discuss the proposed projects in the coming weeks when they meet for budget work sessions.

“We will look at it again in the next two to three work sessions,” McKee said. “We will go through it possibly item by item to discuss either moving some projects forward or backward, or leaving it alone.”

Commissioner Penny Rich said she hopes to explore the specifics of the projects and bring to light exactly why certain projects were chosen.

“Each work session should be very useful, making sure we have a clear understanding of each project,” Rich said. “It’s helpful to go over them individually rather than big picture.”

Rich also said a focus on schools and efficiency in how county buildings are used should be important in the capital investment discussions.

“Our school infrastructure across America is degrading, and things like schools are really important,” Rich said.

“Also really important in some of this is that we try to diversify and try to use what we own, the properties we own, wisely … What is that building going to have now? How can we coexist?”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.