FRANK shows off art of 19 core member artists

Several art styles, mediums, materials and people have come together to create FRANK Gallery’s latest show.

The “Member Spotlight,” an annual exhibition, kicks off with its opening reception this evening and highlights the work of the gallery’s 19 core member artists.

The show opened Tuesday and will run through May 5.

Torey Mishoe, the gallery’s manager, said the exhibition is set up as an appreciation to the artists that keep FRANK thriving.

“We are a nonprofit collective,” Mishoe said. “Nineteen artists give their time and energy to the gallery to make FRANK run.

“They do all of the programming and put on all of the shows and make FRANK, FRANK.”

The gallery, which has featured artwork from more than 100 consigned artists in the past three years, but runs entirely off of the work contributed by its 19 member artists.

Jean LeCluyse, one of the featured member artists, said that while she is thrilled to be a member, there is a serious time commitment.

“We are a nonprofit, and there is a lot to do,” LeCluyse said. “When the stores open, there is always a member artist here running the cash register, so to speak.”

LeCluyse said the gallery also has its members divided into committees to help it run more efficiently.

“We have committees that run art shows and put them up and take them down,” she said.

“Other committees include the jury committee, which decides who we consign and who becomes members — or our publicist committees that work on outreach.”

Mishoe said the gallery would be inoperable without its members.

“It’s why we give them this show,” Mishoe said. “They put in so much time that it’s the least that we could do for them.”

Nerys Levy, another featured member artist, said she appreciates the environment FRANK creates.

“It’s a great community to be in as an artist,” Levy said.

“It’s a business, and a nonprofit organization. We have to all work with each other, not only running the business but also in community activities. Because of people’s strengths and skills, we end up working with different people for different exhibitions.”

The “Member Spotlight” exhibit features a diverse range of exhibits.

“We’ve got photographers that work with double-exposure or underwater. We’ve got painters that work with abstract representations of color and landscape,” Levy said.

“There are landscape artists, sculptors, ceramicists who work in porcelain, botanical artists and detailed representational artists that work with pencil and graphite. We even have furniture-making.”

Mishoe said the many of the show’s pieces are open to interpretation.

“Everyone has a very distinct voice and qualities,” Mishoe said. “It would all depend on your point of view,”

LeCluyse said FRANK hopes to connect with local artists and students.

“Frankly, there are a lot of artists in this area, and it’s thrilling to have a place for them to show their work,” she said.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.