UNC alumnus John Claude Bemis selected as 2013 Piedmont Laureate

John Claude Bemis of Hillsborough has been selected to be the Peidmont Lauriette for 2013. He is the first to have ever been selected for children's literature.

Even when he was in college, UNC alumnus John Claude Bemis enjoyed reading books aimed at young readers.

Now, Bemis is looking to share that love on a statewide level as the 2013 Piedmont Laureate — the first children’s book author to hold the title.

The Piedmont Laureate program, which was founded to encourage appreciation for literature in the Piedmont region, chose Bemis as the 2013 Laureate because of his ability to inspire both children and adults about literature.

“He has a background in teaching elementary school, and he’s also a musician,” said Margaret DeMott, who helped choose Bemis, and serves as director of the artist services for the Durham Arts Council.

“So he is used to performing for many different age groups in many different settings.”

DeMott said the Piedmont Laureate program chose to focus this year’s residency on children’s literature because it reaches a wide audience.

She said everyone has a children’s book in their history, and it’s a huge common denominator.

Bemis has also published four novels, including “The Nine Pound Hammer,” which was nominated for the North Carolina Children’s Book Award and was chosen as a New York Public Library Best Children’s Book for Reading and Sharing.

Eleanor Oakley, president and CEO of the United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County, said that as the new Piedmont Laureate, Bemis is expected to make 30 appearances in the five sponsoring counties throughout the year.

Oakley said Bemis’ appearances as Laureate could include anything from book readings to teaching writing workshops.

“We are looking forward to a lot of fun opportunities in schools, with K-12 schools, and colleges and universities,” Oakley said.

Bemis, who is a 1995 UNC alumnus, said he is thrilled to encourage readers to write.

“Writing is something that — all it really requires is a pencil, paper and imagination,” Bemis said.

He said he is excited to work with both children and adults in helping them open up their imaginations.

He said he became a children’s book author because of the heart in children’s stories, and he wants to shine a light on the merits of children’s literature for everyone.

“There are so many books that made such a huge impression on me as a kid, and I realized even when I was at UNC — even out of college — that I still enjoyed reading those kinds of books,” Bemis said.

Bemis cited some of his inspirations as Phillip Pullman’s “His Dark Materials” series and Madeleine L’Engle’s “A Wrinkle in Time.”

“There’s not a lot of fluff. You know, it’s great stories, great characters,” he said.

“And if that’s what you enjoy as a reader, that’s a good thing to pursue as a writer.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.