3-run homer seals doubleheader for Tar Heels

Game winning home run
Game winning home run

As Chic’s “Le Freak” resonated through Anderson Stadium during the promotional “‘70s Night” on Wednesday, a sea of James Madison fans sang along to the song’s famous lyrics: “Aw, freak out!”

But the North Carolina softball team (28-13, 6-3 ACC) managed to keep cool in pressure situations on the way to taking both games in a doubleheader against James Madison.

Trailing 3-2 in the second game with one out in the bottom of the seventh inning and runners on the corners, freshman Kristen Brown was in her zone as she stepped up to the plate.

“I love pressure situations,” Brown said. “I just went up to the box and just believed in myself.

“I swung at the first pitch, and it felt so good.”

Brown drove the ball clear over the centerfield wall and the Tar Heel bench sprinted to home plate to celebrate the walk-off 5-3 win.

It was only Brown’s fourth homer of the season, but her second of the day.

“Kristen is somebody that’s aggressive up at the plate, she’s been putting the ball in play,” coach Donna Papa said. “(We) couldn’t have asked for better timing.”

JMU came out in the second game of the doubleheader much more aggressive than the first. Three hits and two runs in the first inning gave James Madison an early lead.

“I think that the other team came out in the second game with a target on us,” senior Haleigh Dickey said. “Ready to take revenge.”

In the top of the 7th inning, down one run, junior Lori Spingola was called from the bullpen to replace Ashley Bone, but the Dukes threatened UNC’s ace early.

After a fielding error, a hit and a steal, JMU had runners on second and third with one out when Jasmine Butler attempted a squeeze bunt with two strikes.

But Spingola’s pitch managed to evade Butler’s bat and catcher Amber Parrish was able to gun down the runner attempting to get back to third for an inning-ending double play.

The defensive stop allowed the Tar Heels to stay within reach and set up Brown for the first walk-off of her career.

“It was a bomb,” Papa said. “Big exclamation points.”

But, arguably, it wasn’t even the biggest hit of the night.

Leading by two runs in the fifth inning of the first game, Dickey’s 39th career home run — a solo shot to right center — not only put the Tar Heels up 3-0 but also broke the program’s home run record. UNC went on to claim the first game 6-0.

“It’s just crazy that it’s something that will always be in Carolina softball history,” Dickey said. “That’s the biggest thing I can take from it. All I can do is smile about it.”

The Tar Heels have had plenty to smile about recently ­— they’ve won six out of their past seven games and despite some tough situations, Brown said the team’s coolness has never wavered.

“We’re confident all the time.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.