Ace pitcher Lori Spingola has 78 career wins

Lori Spingola

Lori Spingola

In the bottom of the seventh inning of a rain-delayed game against Florida State this March, the North Carolina softball team was in trouble.

While UNC held a 5-4 lead, the Seminoles had managed to load the bases with two outs.
But the Tar Heels had no reason to worry. Lori Spingola was in the circle.

Just one hit could have brought the tying run or even a game-winning two runs across the plate. But instead, those runners headed to the dugout as Spingola notched her ninth strikeout of the night, sealing the win for UNC.

“We had bases loaded, game on the line and she’s out there doing her thing,” coach Donna Papa said.

Spingola’s cool head didn’t come as a surprise to her coach.

A junior from Atlanta, Spingola has been the Tar Heels’ go-to pitcher for the past three years — a spot she’s worked hard for, starting in the circle for seven of UNC’s eight games against ranked opponents this year.

“That’s mentally tough as well as physically tough to do that,” Papa said. “And I think you have to be a certain kind of person, everybody’s eyes are on you all the time, every pitch you throw.”
Again, a position Spingola is well accustomed to.

Instead of a slow introduction to college softball, a bullpen composed of only one returning pitcher forced Spingola into a starting role out of the gate.

All eyes were on her during her freshman season as the Tar Heels were seeking a replacement for the legendary Danielle Spaulding, who graduated in 2010 as a three-time All-American and two-time ACC Player of the Year, leaving Spingola with very large shoes to fill.

Those shoes turned out to fit the 6-foot ace pretty well.

In her debut season, Spingola tied the single season school record for wins with 27, and broke the single-season record for innings pitched at a whopping 267.1 — 11 games of which were complete game shutouts.

Coming into her sophomore year, Spingola now faced the challenge of living up to her own reputation.

And again, the pitcher went above and beyond. Spingola broke both records with 33 wins and 269.2 innings pitched. Combined with a staggering 333 strikeouts, it was enough to earn her the title of ACC Pitcher of the Year.

“We were kind of known for Danielle Spaulding for a while,” senior Paige Williams said. “(Spingola) knew that how the team did would reflect her because that’s how people knew Carolina softball — through an ace pitcher.”

That level of pressure can easily build up in a player, and lead her to find an outlet for the stress in her teammates.

But her coach and teammates said the only person Spingola holds accountable for her performance is Spingola.

“Any good player is going to hold themselves at high standards,” senior Haleigh Dickey said. “I think it just comes along with the territory. When you play for an elite team and when you are that good, you’re going to be hard on yourself. You’re not going to want to expect anything less than the highest high that you’ve had in your career.”

And, according to Spingola, those expectations of excessive success have helped get her where she is today.

“I’m very hard on myself but if I wasn’t I wouldn’t be this far,” she said.

In her junior campaign, Spingola continues to hold herself to high standards, and her teammates expect nothing less of the ace this year.

“With how things have gone this season, I kind of just expect her to put us on her back and roll like she has since she’s been here,” Dickey said.

But despite several clutch outings, Spingola has suffered some close losses this year.

“I’ve had a lot of tough losses this season,” she said. “It’s just really going back to being competitive. Really all you can do is look at what’s in front of you and not look at the past.”

Many times this season, the Tar Heels have turned to Spingola to get them out of a tough spot. Now with the team’s playoff hopes in the balance, Spingola has a chance to help her team reach its goals.

And if the past is any indicator, the Tar Heels have no reason to worry.

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.