UNC Chamber Players welcome challenges of small ensemble playing

Sophomore John Reardon, a music and history major from Greensboro, plays with his group called the University Chamber Players. They rehearsed this afternoon for their concert on Wednesday.

The University’s student musicians can expect to practice for hours alone, and for hours in large ensembles. But tonight, students will showcase something different.

The UNC Chamber Players, which is composed of several student chamber music groups, will be performing tonight in Person Recital Hall.

Junior violinist Kendra Griffin said chamber music is essential to the development of any aspiring musician.

“Chamber music gives musicians the opportunity to cultivate an important aspect of musicianship that playing in a large ensemble doesn’t usually offer,” Griffin said.

The concert will feature a variety of mostly traditional ensembles, including a piano trio and a string quartet, with an emphasis on late Romantic period music.

Pianist Suzanne Lea Crabtree, whose group will be performing difficult pieces by Gabriel Faure and Johannes Brahms, said she welcomes the challenges that small-ensemble playing brings.

“Not only are you forced to listen to yourself, which is hard enough, but you have to listen to everyone else you are playing with, and you need to make sure everyone can be heard at the appropriate times,” she said.

Sophomore cellist John Reardon will be performing with Crabtree, along with violist Margaret Neville and violinist Christin Danchi.

“With solo repertoire there’s a big emphasis on thinking for yourself and being an individual,” Reardon said.

“Chamber music really is a whole new world because you get completely different challenges that your group has to tackle together … It takes the best and the most difficult parts of solo and large-ensemble playing.”

Griffin said her group will be playing Dmitri Shostakovich’s “String Quartet No. 6,” and she said she looks forward to other groups’ performances.

The three members said each group is coached throughout the year by a music professor, who guides them through rehearsals and helps them select music for performances.

“Professor (Stefan) Litwin selected the Brahms piece, but we selected the Faure. Both complement each other, and will work well on the same program,” Crabtree said.

Griffin said playing in a chamber music group is a much more personal and interactive musical experience.

“Your chamber music group is like your own family,” she said.

“You really have to get to know each other well to play music together well. It helps you as a musician, as a team player and as a solo player.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.