BSki’s franchise sparks nationwide interest

After announcing plans to franchise last fall, Franklin Street restaurant BSki’s Tortilla Wrap Grill has received offers from people all across the country interested in bringing signature wraps to their towns.

Bradley Smith, the CEO and founder of BSki’s, said he always planned on franchising his restaurant — which is popular among students for its wraps and late-night food options.

“We developed the concept of BSki’s from the beginning with the intent of franchising down the line,” he said.

Smith said when they first developed the idea of franchising, they wanted to keep the new locations close.

“We’re looking at major college towns in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, West Virginia and Washington D.C.”

But Smith was surprised when he received offers from hopeful franchisees from across the country.

“We’ve gotten requests from as far as California, Colorado and Texas, but we really want to stay close to home,” Smith said.

He said the company hasn’t granted any franchises yet, but he hopes to find the right person soon.

“Basically we have our entire franchise package developed and put together. We’re ready and willing as soon as we find the right people,” he said.

“It’s really about the team and the people at the end of the day for us.”

According to BSki’s franchising documents, the franchises would cost anywhere from $230,500 to $494,500 and would be independently managed.

The Chapel Hill location will remain the Bski’s headquarters, and the same menu will be served nationwide.

Smith said he hopes potential Bski’s franchises will play important roles in their towns.

“We’re just trying to be the restaurant next door,” Smith said.

“That hometown, comfy, it feels like a living room to you but you also expect quality and consistency at the same time.”

Smith doesn’t have a timeline for franchising yet.

“Overall, we’re really excited about getting to this point,” Smith said.

“We are ready and I’m sure when we find the right people we will be moving forward with the franchising.”

Sophomore Kevin Martin said he eats BSki’s roughly 20 times per month.

“I like the atmosphere. It’s a great place to study,” he said.

Martin said he was excited to hear that BSki’s would be franchising.

“It would thrive in a college town,” he said. “I think that’s the right atmosphere for it.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.