Javanese musical ensemble to play traditional tunes

TEDxUNC - Saturday, Feb. 10 in Memorial Hall

Gamelan Nyai Saraswati is a central Javanese musical ensemble based at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. The gamelan arrived in Chapel Hill from Java in December of 2000, wrapped in newspapers, clove cigarette boxes, and plastic
TEDxUNC - Saturday, Feb. 10 in Memorial Hall Gamelan Nyai Saraswati is a central Javanese musical ensemble based at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. The gamelan arrived in Chapel Hill from Java in December of 2000, wrapped in newspapers, clove cigarette boxes, and plastic

Playing bronze instruments shipped from Java, UNC’s Javanese musical ensemble will perform traditional cultural tunes tonight as exotic as the lands in which they originated.

Gamelan Nyai Saraswati — named after the Hindu goddess of music, arts and science — will perform its spring concert at the Hill Hall Auditorium.

Joshua Busman, the group’s director, said he hopes the concert will demonstrate the importance of global music groups.

“We hope people will learn about the culture of Java, and the history of the ensemble on campus,” he said. “Learning (about) a new musical instrument is like learning a new foreign language, and therefore a new way of thinking.”

Heyne Kim, a graduate student who has been an ensemble member for several years, said the concert is a way for UNC students to be immersed in different cultures.

“World music ensembles can be a way of connecting different parts of the world,” she said.
Busman said the concert will reveal how gamelan music is constructed.

“In the concert we want to try and give a sense to the audience of the logic behind the music,” he said. “We want to show the densely layered musical fabric of the gamelan.”

Kia Mantey, a junior who has been part of the group for a year, said that Javanese music is comparable to Western music.

“Javanese music is both really simple and really complex,” she said. “It is like a Western orchestra, but the instruments are made together with a specific sound.”

Busman said that there are not many gamelan collections and ensembles in existence because of the rare nature of the instruments. In order for all of the instruments in a set to sound in tune together, they must be forged in the same workshop.

Busman said the interesting thing about gamelan music is that it allows people from all different experience levels to take part.

He said a newcomer could play confidently after 15 minutes, and Mantey said this is reflected in the group’s members.

“There are a couple of people in the ensemble with no musical background,” Mantey said. “However, it’s really easy to pick up, as it is originally an oral tradition.”

Mantey said she believes more global music should be performed.

“You can learn a lot about a culture from their art,” she said.

“Even though there’s lots of interest in global musical traditions, they just aren’t that prevalent … It’s a really unique group.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.