Tar Heel defense key in ACC Championship victory

UNC attacker Jimmy Bitter (4) forces a turnover from Virginia goalkeeper Rhody Heller (42).

The No. 3 North Carolina men’s lacrosse team fired on all cylinders offensively, averaging 17 goals in its two ACC Tournament games this weekend, but facing an equally potent Virginia offense Sunday, UNC needed its defense to secure its first ACC Championship since 1996.

The defense responded, turning the Cavaliers away on all five of their extra-man opportunities, including three in the fourth quarter.

UNC coach Joe Breschi said that while his defensemen struggled early, especially in the first quarter, they accomplished one of his keys to game — limiting the Cavaliers’ chances at inside shots.

When the Cavaliers found an opening they still had to beat freshman goalkeeper Kieran Burke, who recorded 17 saves, including 12 in the second half.

“It all comes down to the goalie making outside saves,” Breschi said. “At the end of the day Kieran Burke was dialed in, specifically in the second half, and really did a terrific job of gobbling up outside shots.”

Breschi said the defense’s job was made all the more difficult by the slippery conditions at Kenan Stadium Sunday.

“Offensively you know where you’re going, and defensively you’re trying to react,” Breschi said. “You’re trying to slide and break down and guys are slipping all over the place, and the recoveries are struggling.”

Though Virginia senior Matt White found openings on the inside, tying an ACC Championship single-game record with seven goals, the rest of the Cavaliers’ attack had much more trouble.

UVa. attackman Mark Cockerton needed 16 shots to net his three goals, which Breschi said was a credit to UNC defenseman Jordan Smith’s coverage.

“(Smith) was one of the really bright spots at the defensive end,” Breschi said.

Senior defenseman Kieran McDonald added six groundballs and a caused turnover.

“Overall, the defense continues to be a work in progress, but in a positive way,” Breschi said. “There are a lot of things we can work on and get better at, but if we’re averaging 17 goals a game — it’s nice.”

The defense was supported by UNC’s attackmen Joey Sankey and Jimmy Bitter, who rode UVa.’s defensemen to slow the Cavaliers’ transition offense.

Senior Davey Emala’s eventual game-winning goal in the second quarter, which gave UNC an 8-7 lead, was set up by relentless pressure from UNC’s attackmen.

Bitter made UVa. goalie Rhody Heller cough up the ball, and on the ensuing possession, the Tar Heels were able to find Emala.

“Riding, at the end of the day is just heart and hustle,” senior captain Marcus Holman said. “I thought we did a good job of trying to turn those guys back.”

Once considered a liability, UNC’s defense proved it could make the kind of stops that will be just as crucial in the NCAA Tournament, which begins May 11, and Holman said the defense has grown as a unit this season.

“Going against these guys in practice, they’ve developed an attitude down there,” Holman said. “I think they were tired of people talking about our offense all the time. They’re forming their identity.”