Tar Heel men's golf earns first win of spring season

The UNC men's golf team hosted their first home tournament in six years,  Tar Heel Intercollegiate, on  Sept. 15-16.
The UNC men's golf team hosted their first home tournament in six years, Tar Heel Intercollegiate, on Sept. 15-16.

From a quick glance at the scorecard, it would appear that the North Carolina men’s golf team’s first-place finish at this weekend’s Irish Creek Intercollegiate was never in jeopardy.

The Tar Heels were on top of the leaderboard after each of the tournament’s three rounds.

But UNC’s first win of the spring season was anything but easy. Due to a slow start in Sunday’s final round, the Tar Heels dropped to as low as fourth place on the last day of competition.

The Tar Heels recovered on the back nine, playing their best golf on some of the most difficult holes. The team finished with a seven-over-par 859, two shots ahead of second-place N.C. State.

“We got off to a really good start in the first two rounds, but in the final round we started really poorly,” coach Andrew Sapp said. “But they really hung in there and fought hard. It was a great way to win the tournament, because they basically had to grind out the victory.”

Junior Andy Sajevic, who finished tied for fourth overall with one-under-par, said the last four holes were the toughest and most important.

“We could tell that we were playing around the lead, and we needed to play the last four holes well to win the tournament,” Sajevic said. “I thought the whole team did a great job of staying mentally tough and focused, and we finished well.”

The golfers’ perseverance gave the team a much-needed boost of confidence at a critical time in the season. Sapp, who earned his second win at UNC, said the club at Irish Creek has a similar layout to the course hosting the ACC Championships, which start April 26. He said he hopes the Tar Heels’ success this weekend will carry over to the postseason.

The win also helps UNC’s chances for a bid to the NCAA regionals in May.

Ranked No. 45 by Golf Week, the Tar Heels were among the highest-rated teams in the 17-team field. The Tar Heels were familiar with many of their opponents, having faced some of them earlier in the season.

It was no surprise, then, that Sapp believed a first-place finish was attainable.

“I knew if we played the way we knew how to play, we could take care of business,” Sapp said.

Senior Michael McGowan set the pace, shooting two strokes under par for the tournament and finishing in third place.

His ability to hit a high percentage of greens in regulation kept him at the top of the leaderboard.

But McGowan said his putting was not up to his usual standard, and rolling in a few more makeable par-putts would have put him in contention for first place.

When he did have a bad hole, McGowan bounced back in the same way his teammates refocused during the last four holes — by pushing the negative thoughts out of his head.

“I just tried to remember that every shot counts,” he said. “No matter how bad you might think it is, it could always be worse.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.