The Rogue Players produce one-night performance of 'Titus Andronicus'

Titus Andronicus
play 310 Brooks Street
Rehearsal was tonight, but they didn't use any blood :( 
Audience, expect to be sprayed with blood!
14 deaths, 1 rape, and more!

Matthew Brown Titus Andronicus
Daniel Doyle Demetrius
Erik Peterson Tamora
Noah Fisher Chiron
Daniel Freeman Lucius
Madeline Hurley Lavinia
Nora McPeak Martius
Alex Ruba Marcus Andronicus
Josh Aaron
Ananya Mallavarapu Clown
Katelyn Mitchell Young Lucius
Ananya Mallavarapu Quintus

Kim Sikkel Bassianus
Joel Sronce Saturninus
Dan Turner Mutius
Riley Zecca Alarbus

Production Staff
Erik Peterson Director
Katia Martinez Stage Manager
Angela Sibille Props Designer
Andrew Jones Assistant Director
Titus Andronicus play 310 Brooks Street Rehearsal was tonight, but they didn't use any blood :( Audience, expect to be sprayed with blood! 14 deaths, 1 rape, and more! Matthew Brown Titus Andronicus Daniel Doyle Demetrius Erik Peterson Tamora Noah Fisher Chiron Daniel Freeman Lucius Madeline Hurley Lavinia Nora McPeak Martius Alex Ruba Marcus Andronicus Josh Aaron Ananya Mallavarapu Clown Katelyn Mitchell Young Lucius Ananya Mallavarapu Quintus Kim Sikkel Bassianus Joel Sronce Saturninus Dan Turner Mutius Riley Zecca Alarbus Production Staff Erik Peterson Director Katia Martinez Stage Manager Angela Sibille Props Designer Andrew Jones Assistant Director

Those brave enough to sit in one of the front rows at tonight’s one and only production of “Titus Andronicus” will be given ponchos to combat the barrage of blood and limbs.

The sold-out Shakespearean production is the first and last for The Rogue Players, and will take place in the backyard of a house on Brooks Street.

The play, which was once Company Carolina’s choice for its spring “Shakespeare on the Quad” production, was dropped just two weeks into rehearsals.

“It was Sunday at 10 p.m. when I found out,” said student director Erik Peterson.

“They kept asking ‘What if a 3-year-old walked by?’” Peterson said. “I said that I never asked to do a show for 3-year-olds.”

While Company Carolina’s producing board declined to comment, Peterson said violence was one of the factors in cutting the show from the group’s season.

“They told me that in no way would Company Carolina be able to do a show where a major plot point is that a character gets mutilated — and that happens to multiple characters,” Peterson said.

Peterson said he told the cast the news the next day at rehearsal.

They then decided whether to do another Shakespeare production or to continue with “Titus Andronicus” independently.

“We lost three people right away,” Peterson said, adding that most of Company Carolina’s production staff eventually stopped helping with the play.

One of the performers who dropped out was Laura John, a freshman dramatic art major who played Marcus Andronicus, Titus Andronicus’ brother.

“The location was a big deal to me,” she said.

“Not getting to perform on campus was kind of a letdown.”

Peterson used the website Kickstarter to raise money.

“I asked for $250, and we raised $265 within two days,” Peterson said. “Almost all of it went to props, set and costumes, and everything else was stuff I owned, donated or things other cast members owned.”

Rehearsals and production took place in the Ehringhaus Residence Hall mail room, and weekend rehearsals were held at the off-campus location.

Matthew Brown, who portrays Titus Andronicus in the production, said his character begins to unravel as more and more terrible things happen throughout the plot.

“As the sun goes down, (the backyard is) going to be plunged into darkness, and that’s what happens in the play anyway,” Brown said.

In the play, Titus Andronicus, a Roman general, engages in a cycle of revenge and murder with Tamora, queen of the Goths. The show is considered Shakespeare’s bloodiest play.

Peterson said he ended up taking over the part of Tamora — requiring him to dress in drag — because a cast member quit after spring break.

He said he directed the show to be like a horror movie, and it has modern-day clothes as the costumes. One group is dressed as contemporary Goths.

Peterson said The Rogue Players will not continue beyond this production, and that he has no hard feelings toward Company.

Andrew Jones, a junior, said he joined the crew as assistant director after Company Carolina dropped the show.

“After seeing (Peterson) with what happened to this play, I really wanted to help him,” Jones said.

Jones became the lighting, sound and production manager and funded all of the show’s publicity.

“As a director I think what Erik and this cast have done is a great example of what independent theater can be,” Jones said.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.