Former UNC chancellor to become interim leader at UNCSA

Former UNC-CH chancellor James Moeser will take over the top administrative role at the UNC School of the Arts as interim chancellor Aug. 1.

Moeser, who was chancellor at UNC-CH from 2000-08 and continues to teach music at the University, was officially appointed Thursday by UNC-system president Tom Ross.

Current UNCSA chancellor John Mauceri announced his intent last fall to step down as chancellor June 30. Mauceri led UNCSA for seven years.

Ross said in a statement that Moeser’s administrative experience and passion for the arts and humanities make him the ideal leader for UNCSA during its time of transition.

“He understands the many challenges and opportunities before this very special campus of the University, and I am grateful that he has agreed to accept this important assignment,” Ross said.

UNCSA will be in very capable hands during this interim period.”

As UNC-CH’s chancellor, Moeser was best known for helping establish the Carolina Covenant program, which allows talented low-income students to graduate from UNC debt-free.

UNCSA provost David Nelson will act as chancellor after June 30 until Moeser takes office.

No definite timetable has been announced for the selection of Mauceri’s permanent successor. A search committee of trustees, faculty, students and alumni has been working to identify potential candidates.

Once the search is complete, the committee will present a list of finalists to Ross. Ross will then nominate a successor, who has to be formally approved by the UNC Board of Governors.