Wednesday February 8th

Hedgepeth search warrants resealed by judge

The records in the Faith Hedgepeth homicide case have once again been sealed.

On May 14, Durham County Superior Court Judge Orlando F. Hudson Jr. ordered the records, including all search warrants and 911 calls in the case, to be resealed.

h6(liner mb). HEDGEPETH HOMICIDE

UNC junior Faith Danielle Hedgepeth was found dead in her apartment on Sept. 7. Since then, law enforcement have released few details in the case:

*Sept. 10*: A Durham County Superior Court Judge sealed the search warrants for the first time. *Sept. 26*: Chapel Hill police released three redacted recordings of radio traffic in connection with the investigation. *Nov. 16*: The records were resealed. *Jan. 9*: With the help of the FBI, Chapel Hill police said they found male DNA at the scene. *Jan. 9*: The records were resealed again.

The order is applicable for 60 days, at which point the District Attorney’s Office in Durham will have to release the records or seek another resealing order.

“The court finds that there is a preponderance of evidence to believe that the release of the information contained in the court order and application would undermine the ongoing criminal investigation,” the order states.

The records have been sealed repeatedly since Hedgepeth was found dead in her apartment the morning of Sept. 7.

The Hedgepeth family said they were not specifically informed about the resealing, but Roland Hedgepeth, Faith’s father, said he was not surprised.

“I don’t know how much longer this is going to go on, but my understanding is that they have to convince a judge that it is of utmost importance to the case, so I have to assume that the judges know what they’re doing,” Hedgepeth said.

He said the family is doing as best as they can given the situation.

“At this point, about as well as can be expected, considering that we know absolutely nothing, still, about what happened,” he said.

But Hedgepeth said he remains confident the investigation is moving forward.

“If they are either continually eliminating people or whatever they may be doing, I would assume that it is some type of progress.”

A spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department said they are in frequent contact with the Hedgepeth family about the case.

“We are trying to keep them involved as much as we possibly can without compromising the investigation,” police spokesman Joshua Mecimore said.

Amy Locklear Hertel is the director of the UNC American Indian Center, an organization in which Faith Hedgepeth was heavily involved while on campus.

Hertel said she was saddened by the resealing, but she remains hopeful that the investigation would move forward.

“We’re confident they’re doing their jobs,” she said.

“Hopefully there will be a resolution to the case. We are looking forward to that resolution sooner rather than later.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2023 Rivalry Edition