Crystal King chosen as new leader of the Carolina Union

Crystal King of the University of Texas at Austin was chosen as the next director of the Carolina Union Friday.

King currently serves as the Associate Executive Director of University Unions at the University of Texas at Austin, where she manages the building operations of four student life facilities.

Bettina Shuford, the associate vice chancellor for student affairs who put together the search committee, said in an email King that has a wealth of experience working with student union operations and student activities.

King has also served as Director of the Student Activity Center, Associate Director of Student Programs and Assistant Director of Student Programs.

“We look forward to welcoming her to the Carolina family,” Shuford said.

King will start July 29, though Shuford had said in April the new director was slated to start July 1, alongside the incoming Chancellor Carol Folt and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Jim Dean.

The search for the union director began in February after the former union director, Don Luse, retired in December. Luse served 20 years in the position.

Scott Hudson and Tony Patterson have been serving as interim directors in his absence.