N.C. House budget could close curtain on arts funding

Arts funding in North Carolina faces the chopping block once again in the most recent budget proposal released by the N.C. House of Representatives Sunday.

The North Carolina Arts Council, the state agency that administers grant programs to all 100 counties, faces cuts totaling $500,000 for administration and nearly $230,000 in grant funding for 2013-14 under the House’s proposal.

Karen Wells, executive director and lobbyist for Arts North Carolina, said cuts to the arts have been incremental since the financial crisis began in 2008.

“I call it a creeping crisis,” she said.

Arts North Carolina is a statewide advocacy organization for the arts that has launched a grassroots campaign through its network of supporters.

They provide mechanisms for arts supporters, citizens and professionals to communicate with their legislators.

“People from their district who care about the arts are the ones who deliver our message,” she said.

Multiple legislators could not be reached for comment.

Wells said the proposed cuts are disproportionate and unfair, and they have totaled a net loss of 37 percent for the arts council since 2008.

“It’s just something that’s too precious to North Carolina to allow it to be slowly dismantled,” she said.

Hannah Grannemann, managing director for PlayMakers Repertory Company, said these cuts could have a larger effect on the state of the arts long term.

“While it’s a small investment when you look at the state budget, it’s extremely meaningful in the arts community and indeed to the citizens of North Carolina,” she said.

These proposed cuts will not affect the upcoming schedule for PlayMakers — which receives funding from the arts council — and Grannemann said the shows will go on.

“I’d encourage people to educate themselves on the issue and take action as they are so moved,” she said.

Joseph Haj, PlayMakers’ producing artistic director, said often the arts are considered to be nothing more than entertainment.

“The arts are very often the political football — they are very often disproportionately cut relative to other government items,” he said.

Haj said with the passing of this budget, many arts organizations will be forced to close their doors.

“These cuts are going to be hugely impactful to many of our colleagues around the state in various art disciplines,” he said.

Haj said those in the arts have a responsibility to promote a positive message of the work that is done.

“We’re not a diversion,” he said. “We’re central in how our society understands itself.”

Wells said she was optimistic about the advocacy campaign and would not speculate about the budget’s passing.

“We’re not considering that right now, because we’re in the middle of a fight.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.