Sunday March 7th

Game update: UNC leads LSU 4-2 through 7

OMAHA, Neb. — Brian Holberton batted from the four spot for the second time in an elimination game this post season — and for the second time, the tweak was effective for North Carolina.

Contributions throughout the lineup, though, didn’t hurt either as the Tar Heels lead LSU 4-2 Tuesday afternoon after seven innings

Holberton sent a home run over the right centerfield wall to score Colin Moran from first base and give UNC a 2-0 first-inning lead.

North Carolina then scored in the third inning after Landon Lassiter opened with a double and was then scored by a Moran single.

Trent Thornton allowed nine hits in his first start since March 27, but was still able to get the Tar Heels into the fifth inning without allowing a run.

But LSU evaded the shutout, scoring in the fifth inning with three singles.

There was more Moran action in the seventh as he singled up the middle to start the inning before Skye Bolt singled to send him home from second, which he’d advanced to off a Holberton sacrifice bunt.

LSU matched North Carolina’s one-run seventh inning, using a double then a single to put runners on the corners for Alex Bregman. Bregman singled into a double play, but was able to score Sean McMullen from third to keep the score within two runs.

Black History Month Edition