New leader Crystal King takes helm in Student Union

Crystal King

Crystal King

The Student Union will have a new, more permanent face beginning July 29.

Crystal King, who has more than 15 years of experience in student affairs, was selected June 21 as the Union’s newest director.

King said her first act as the Union’s leader will be to acknowledge the hard work of the Union staff during the time of transition.

“I think the very first task is to celebrate the staff that have worked so hard to keep the operation moving forward in a positive way for the students and for the campus absent a director,” King said.

Don Luse, the former director, retired in December after 20 years in the position, and Tony Patterson and Scott Hudson have been serving as interim co-directors in his place.

King currently serves as the associate executive director of university unions at the University of Texas at Austin, where she manages the building operations of four student life facilities.

King has also served as the program director of student life at St. Edward’s University, leaving her with experience at both a large public school as well as a small private one.

“I think it has equipped me and rounded me in a way and gave me a really good, unique skill set to be able to manage and direct the Union (at UNC).”

Bettina Shuford, the associate vice chancellor for student affairs who assembled the search committee, said King’s experience with working at a similar university was among the reasons she was chosen.

“She’s coming from another research-oriented institution, so she’s very familiar with this type of institution,” Shuford said.

Shuford also said King is experienced in facilities management and campus activities and programming. She added that King has a good track record with working with students and staff.

“She was selected as supervisor of the year by the president (at the University of Texas at Austin),” Shuford said. “So her references were very strong.”

Hudson said King should familiarize herself with the operations at the Union during her first couple of months at the University.

“I think my advice is to listen to and meet one-on-one with all of her staff and become familiar with the student affairs strategic plan,” he said.

Hudson also said it will be important for King to foster relationships with student leaders, which King said she enjoys. She said she will participate in a new student orientation session at the end of July in order to better understand student life at the University.

“I get a lot of energy from students,” King said.

“All of their ideas and the things that they want to do, and helping them accomplish their goals — I’m really excited about that part and learning what the students (at UNC) are passionate about.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.