Carolina Inn unveils new renovations

Guests visiting Chapel Hill can now enjoy more modernized, upscale accommodations at The Carolina Inn.

The Carolina Inn completed its $19 million renovation in April.

Kenneth Zogry, historian of the Carolina Inn, said the renovation began in January 2009 and was completed in two phases over four and a half years. The first phase was completed in 2010.

She said it modernized the decor, and new furniture and other sustainable features have been added to the guest rooms to maximize guest convenience.

The restaurant, function rooms and public areas have also been extensively renovated, updating much of the Inn’s infrastructure, Voelpel said.

She said the hotel carried out the renovations in order to upgrade its services.

“We have undergone its latest renovation in order to provide better products to our guests and to offer upgraded meeting and public places to the community,” Voelpel said.

“We are thrilled to have our renovation done and be able to show our renewed Inn to our guests.”

Jack Schmidt, general manager at the Carolina Inn, said new furniture in the renovated guest rooms was constructed from raw materials managed through the Sustainable Forestry Initiative, and all the furniture was made in North Carolina.

Zogry said the renovation also attempted to maintain balance between the original Colonial Revival style and the contemporary style.

“So people, including current students, faculty and alumni who visit Chapel Hill, could explore aspects of the history and also the significance of the Inn as a historical site.”

Schmidt said in the public areas, there are original 19th-century portraits of famous Tar Heels on loan from the Di-Phi Societies, the oldest student organization at UNC, and some 90 student-drawn cartoons from The Daily Tar Heel over the past 70 years line the walls of the newly renovated Carolina Crossroads Bar. Throughout the guest room corridors and lounges are nearly 700 images and brief biographies of notable UNC alumni, faculty, and landmarks.

Zogry said The Carolina Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.