Demolition on University Square is slated to begin in 2014

Three businesses are making University Mall their new home as progress continues on the redevelopment of University Square.

Kidzu Children’s Museum, Fine Feathers and Peacock Alley Gifts will vacate their spaces in University Square and settle into new locations at University Mall.

“University Mall is a wonderful hometown mall, and we are all very excited about it,” said Pam Patterson, longtime employee of the retailer Fine Feathers.

Patterson said Fine Feathers’ clientele have expressed positive feelings about the move.

“We feel like it’s just right down the street,” she said. “Chapel Hill is big but we consider ourselves part of the town.”

Foot traffic

Patterson said she hopes the other businesses in the mall will drive additional foot traffic to the store and increase business.

“People are familiar with University Mall,” Patterson said. “The library moved there for a while and one of the places people go when they come to Chapel Hill is Southern Season.”

UNC and the town of Chapel Hill intend to demolish the structure at 123 W. Franklin St.

Gordon Merklein, executive director of real estate development for UNC and member of the 123 West Franklin St. development team, said his office is aiming to begin construction on the development in the third or fourth quarter of 2014.

“We are continuing to work with Cousins Properties on revising a schedule for demolition and construction,” Merklein said in an email.

The Chapel Hill Town Council unanimously approved permits for the development — which will include three buildings with 580,000 square feet of mixed-use space and 300 residential units — in February.

Junior Evan Comen advocated for the redevelopment of University Square during the planning process.

“This development will take Chapel Hill at least five years into the future and really stimulate the downtown life,” Comen said.

‘Dad went there’

While some stores are relocating, others will go out of business — like Ken’s Quickie Mart, a popular convenience store among college students.

Junior Liz Bailey said she will miss the businesses.

“Some of those places are cultural landmarks in Chapel Hill,” she said. “My dad went to Ken’s Quickie Mart and Time Out when he was a student here.”