Jason Mott just released his new book “The Returned,” which follows a family after it discovers its supposedly deceased 8-year-old son standing on the front porch. Mott will be hosting a book reading today at Flyleaf Books, and he spoke with staff writer Tat’yana Berdan about the inspiration behind the book and his writing career.

DAILY TAR HEEL: What inspired you to write “The Returned”?

JASON MOTT: It all started with a dream I had about my mom. I had lost both of my parents. Back in 2010, I had this dream that I came home after work, and my mother was sitting at the kitchen table. And we sat there for a while, talking and sharing stories.

That dream stayed with me for weeks. Later, I was talking to a friend of mine, and he said, “What if that really happened and it wasn’t just one person?” I wrote a short story, and people really responded to it — so I decided to begin a novel shortly thereafter.

DTH: Can you tell me about your writing process? How long did it take you to finish the novel?

JM: It took about a year. I was working at Verizon Wireless at the time, answering phones, so I was writing before or after work, whatever time worked for me. I tried to do a big outline to start and then write a certain amount of words or a certain amount of pages each day. It really went faster than some of the other stories that I’ve done. I was really surprised — once I got going, (the process) went very quickly.

DTH: What challenges did you face throughout the writing process?

JM: The most difficult thing was trying not to exploit the idea of deceased loved ones coming back to life. There were different people I talked to about what it would be like if their loved one came back to life.

Most commonly, people would be very excited at first, but then I asked if they would feel the same way six months later. People would be worried about how they’ve changed (since their loved one passed away). I wanted to be as true to those conversations as I could, to tie in all of those concepts and discussions.

DTH: What inspired you to become a writer?

JM: I grew up reading lots of adventure stories like “Beowulf,” “The Iliad” and “The Odyssey.” When I was 14, I came across John Gardner’s “Grendel,” which tells the story of “Beowulf” through the monster’s perspective. It was really refreshing — I didn’t know you could write stories like that. So I started out writing different versions of what happened to different characters in “The Iliad” or “The Odyssey.” I wanted to be a part of the larger conversation.

DTH: What advice do you have for college students who are aspiring to be writers?

JM: The best advice is to try and establish a really strong work ethic. You have to have the habit of writing every day. Write as often as you can. Treat it as your job.

DTH: Why did you choose to participate in the reading at Flyleaf Books?

JM: I have been there twice before, and I really like the people there. They treated me very well in the past. The audience there is always really active — they always ask a lot of good questions. DTH: What is the most rewarding part of being a writer?

JM: The chance to explore and really communicate with people. At the end of the day, that’s the core idea behind writing. The communication that happens is really amazing, and it’s wonderful to be a part of that.