Substance-free starts for sororities

Today begins the tradition known as 'No Booze, No Boys.'

During recruitment week, sororities are on a strict social diet.

Today at 5 p.m., Substance-Free Week begins, which is the prohibition of both alcohol and men from sorority recruitment activities. It applies to potential and current members of sororities.

The policy’s origins are unclear — it was referred to as “Purity” in the early 2000s, said Aaron Bachenheimer, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement.

“I think these policies are helpful during the transition process into Greek life,” he said.

Although it is colloquially referred to as “No Booze, No Boys,” neither the UNC Panhellenic Council nor the National Panhellenic Conference uses the term.

The policy is based on a unanimous agreement by the NPC, which is an organization for multiple international women’s fraternities and sororities. The NPC’s voting system has been used since 1902, and all agreements are ratified by the president of each organization, according to the NPC’s unanimous agreements.

“Unanimous agreements are exactly that — unanimously accepted and voted on by all 26 NPC member groups,” said NPC spokeswoman Kyle Niederpruem in an email.

UNC Panhellenic Council President Rachel Brown said she supports the rule because it fosters a sense of community.

“I see (the policy) as a benefit that lets the potential members really look at aspects of sisterhood instead of focusing solely on the social aspect,” Brown said.

Brown said the prohibition of alcohol and men from recruitment activities allows recruits to focus on classwork, sleep and enjoy time with their friends.

Bachenheimer said it is not reasonable to expect women to abstain from all communication with men.

“The expectation is that men aren’t a part of the recruitment experience or activities. But our campus setup doesn’t make ‘no boys’ practical or possible,” he said.

Some potential recruits are more strict about following the policy than others.

“Some girls take (the policy) so seriously,” said sophomore Rob Schmidt, a member of Kappa Sigma. “Sometimes they won’t even look at you — and not just random girls, but girls you know.”

Sophomore Jarvis Moss, a member of Sigma Chi, said women rushing sororities would still talk to him in class.

Bachenheimer said his office receives little feedback on the policy, and the feedback they do receive is positive.

“I mean, people don’t run up to us saying, ‘Thank you, thank you,’ but they generally support the policy,” he said.

“I agree with the spirit of it. It allows the young women to enjoy the recruitment experience without letting outside forces get in the way.”