AlcoholEdu does little to influence drinking habits

Zach Gaver is a senior English and economics major from Virginia Beach, Va. He is serving his third semester on the editorial board and the DTH.

THE ISSUE: AlcoholEdu is an alcohol education program that all freshmen must complete. Some argue that if the class factors into saving students’ lives, it’s worth it. Others believe that it doesn’t have an effect on high risk drinkers. View the other side of the issue.

There’s a song out there that says “The internet is for porn.” This helped to educate me in my formative years and the University should heed a similar lesson. AlcoholEdu has little effect on the actual problems of alcoholism and binge drinking.

Average students have been receiving alcohol education since they were kids. This came in the form of anything from D.A.R.E. to that episode of Boy Meets World where Cory starts drinking after he breaks up with Topanga. It’s nearly impossible to make it to this stage in life without having some sort of exposure to alcohol. Behaviors and attitudes are shaped long before fraternity rush begins.

A 2009 study at Cornell University conducted on incoming freshmen found that while an online course does improve alcohol-related knowledge, it has no effect on high-risk drinking.

Knowledge alone does not change attitudes. Instead of this disregarded and ineffective program, UNC should strive to develop a program that solely targets those with at-risk attitudes and provide a more comprehensive education.