Speaker emphasizes seizing opportunities

Eric Thomas a traveling motivational speaker and author gives a speech to students in the Great Hall Thursday night on September 12th.

In a room full of UNC students, motivational speaker Eric Thomas urged everyone to set their goals beyond their academic career.

“Get a return on your investment,” he said. “You cannot get lost time back.”

The Carolina Union Activities Board brought Thomas to the Student Union Great Hall Thursday to speak for a crowd of about 300.

Thomas — who calls himself the hip-hop preacher — grew up in Detroit, where he dropped out of high school and lived on the streets for a year.

Thomas said when he was younger, he blamed his problems on his tough upbringing and resented those who were raised in better circumstances.

Thomas said he was inspired to obtain his GED and later enroll in college after he dropped out the second time. He said he wrote a book after failing English classes three times.

“I stopped making excuses and started making adjustments,” he said.

Thomas went on to earn a master’s degree and become a teacher.

Thomas said he gained notoriety through YouTube videos after one of his students posted a video of an impassioned speech he gave.

During his speech he interacted with the crowd and asked them about their work habits. When he questioned the audience about how much effort they gave to their daily tasks, the majority raised their hands for 50 percent.

“Don’t expect 120 percent reward when you only give 70 percent effort,” Thomas said.

LaWanda Garcia said she found out about the show from her son, junior Stefan Garcia. She is a middle school counselor and shows Thomas’ videos to her students to show how much potential they have.

“His grandpa dropped out, his father dropped out and he dropped out — if this gentleman can do it you can too. It’s never too late,” Garcia said.

But she said the videos apply to more than just students.

“For a week at school I would go in and listen to his speech every morning,” Garcia said.

Freshman Chantal Mosley said she attended the event because she needed motivation for school and life.

She said she liked Thomas’ understandable references — like Jay-Z — and the way he interacted with the crowd.

“I have a short attention span, but he keeps my attention,” he said.

Thomas challenged the crowd to start a routine and stick to it, telling the crowd that he wakes up at 3 a.m. every morning.

He said the only way to become successful is to want your goals more than you want to breathe.

“You have to take advantage of the opportunity of a lifetime, in the lifetime of the opportunity.”