UNC Health Care moves hundreds of staff

While moving apartments might seem like a hassle, moving 850 employees and all their office supplies into a newly furnished office would be nothing short of a logistical nightmare.

UNC Health Care managed just that, when it successfully moved a large percentage of its administrative operations into its new Eastowne campus off of U.S. 15-501. Including employees, more than 1,100 people spearheaded the move.

By moving the administration’s operations to Eastowne, UNC Health Care aimed to make life easier for the hospital’s non-medical staff.

“It makes sense, it makes financial sense, it made efficiency sense and patient sense to do this,” said Anna Story, project manager for the UNC Health Care system.

The buildings that were previously occupied by the expenses and accounting department have been either reappropriated or demolished.

“Most of the administrative stuff for the hospital that doesn’t have to be at the hospital is located here,” she said. “And so therefore the space it occupied previously is now better suited for clinical or hospital space.”

The project has been 14 months in the making but is finally nearing its completion as most employees have moved into the new offices.

Story said the move will bring increased efficiency and productivity.

“The purpose was to primarily facilitate efficiencies and to improve co-location so that people from different departments could benefit by being close to one another and maybe share processes and reduce redundancies,” she said.

Eastowne campus’ Project Coordinator Kara Lingley-Brown said the new arrangement stands in stark contrast to the previous layout.

“A lot of people were having to travel from one building to another for meetings on a daily basis,” said Lingley-Brown. “Whereas here, they literally park their car for the day and they walk to and from the buildings for meetings and a lot of people enjoy that.”

Chapel Hill will also see positive gains from the move.

“In retaining those jobs in our boundary, we have a net positive,” said Dwight Bassett, an economic development officer for the town of Chapel Hill. “We also have a net positive aspect of them being able to create additional space for their actual patient demands.”

As with every move, it comes with its fair share of difficulties.

“When people are moving out here, some people were extremely excited about it, some people were a little hesitant about the move just because of the location,” Lingley-Brown said. “It can sometimes be difficult, for example, to get off campus and get lunch if you only have a 30-minute lunch.”

Those involved in the effort have arranged for food trucks to frequently visit the campus to ease the move. In addition, the new facility will come equipped with a fitness center for the benefit of employees.

“We did our best to really provide for them to make them feel at home here,” Lingley-Brown said.