Youth group opposes Affordable Care Act

A new grassroots campaign launched by nonpartisan youth advocacy organization Generation Opportunity is encouraging young Americans to opt out of the Affordable Care Act’s health care exchange before it takes effect in January.

The campaign, promoted on social media with the hashtag #OptOut, aims to educate young adults on what the organization sees as the dangers of the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, and point them to health care alternatives.

David Pasch, spokesman for Generation Opportunity, said the Affordable Care Act would have a high financial impact on people younger than 30.

Pasch said invasion of privacy is another focus of the campaign. He said the private information of individuals enrolled in the Affordable Care Act will go into a central data hub which government agencies will have access to — which he said could allow them to see the results of STD tests, pregnancy tests and tax information.

One of the more controversial points of the #OptOut campaign has been the release of two ads where “Creepy Uncle Sam” administers gynecological and prostate exams to two young people who have enrolled in the Affordable Care Act.

Some UNC students are already voicing concerns about enrolling in the new health care exchange. Jon Edwards, a UNC junior, said he doesn’t think the federal government should be trusted to run such a program.

“They have no experience in the health insurance sector,” he said. “Too many issues could arise.”

And sophomore Conor Fry said he would be opting out and that he doesn’t support the new law.

“I feel it is unnecessary to impose a tax on people in order to pay for others’ insurance if you opt out,” Fry said.

Peter McClelland, chairman of the UNC College Republicans said in an email that he agrees with Generation Opportunity’s mission — but he said his group has no plan to take part in the #OptOut campaign.

“The mission of the College Republicans is to work to get Republicans elected and to bring the conservative message to campus,” McClelland said. “But we’ll speak as loudly as we can against Obamacare.”

Pasch said Generation Opportunity plans to appear on 20 college campuses nationwide, though the list hasn’t been finalized.

Generation Opportunity has created “Opt Out of Obamacare” kits for colleges and communities they’re unable to visit, Pasch said.

He said these kits, which anyone can order, provide college students with information explaining to peers why the group feels the Affordable Care Act is a bad deal and encourage them to opt out.

“We are going against the alliance of a beast, using creativity and internet knowledge to educate young people on other options,” Pasch said.

Edwards said he understands that health care coverage remains an issue nationwide, but said the federal government shouldn’t be involved in the fix.

“I think it’s unfortunate that millions of Americans can’t afford health care, but I don’t think Obamacare provides an effective solution.”