Pita Pit owner uses band experience to increase sales

Josh Sanders, owner of Pita Pit on Franklin Street, is coming up on one year of ownership of the restaurant. This month marks its tenth year on Franklin Street. Enthusiastic about his restaurant, his customers, and his involvement with the community, Sanders says, "I always thought of the food business as more of a people business anyway." Many of his customers are long-time regulars whose names and orders he remembers.
(Zach Hunter, on left, spring 2012 graduate from UNC, still lives in CH)
Josh Sanders, owner of Pita Pit on Franklin Street, is coming up on one year of ownership of the restaurant. This month marks its tenth year on Franklin Street. Enthusiastic about his restaurant, his customers, and his involvement with the community, Sanders says, "I always thought of the food business as more of a people business anyway." Many of his customers are long-time regulars whose names and orders he remembers. (Zach Hunter, on left, spring 2012 graduate from UNC, still lives in CH)

The Franklin Street Pita Pit is selling more pitas this year, and owner Josh Sanders said the success comes from the lessons he learned in his old rock band.

The restaurant’s sales have increased by 25 percent since Sanders became the new owner last October, and his employees believe his marketing ambition and his social attitude are contributing to the success.

“I treated music very much like a business,” Sanders said. “It was all about marketing to me. You know, obviously the music was my product, the way I promoted it — using everything from social media to grassroots flyers.”

Years ago, Sanders said he dropped out of a chemical engineering program in college to join a rock band.

He said he’s using the same methods now at Pita Pit he once used to market his band’s music, and the substantial increase in sales demonstrates the quality of his techniques.

For freshmen this year, Sanders said Pita Pit printed greeting cards containing a menu and coupons — and he said the idea came from his first record release.

“I would burn my favorite song and an acoustic track out of it, and I would take it and burn seven CDs at a time,” Sanders said. “I would burn three to four thousand CDs over the course of a day, and then put them in every dorm room.”

He said he’s using these ideas to promote Pita Pit’s food.

Rhonda Weidner, a daytime shift-leader at Pita Pit, said she thinks Sanders’ drive has been a major factor in Pita Pit’s upward climb.

She said all of the employees have had a part in the sales increase — a lot of Pita Pit employees are college students, and they distribute coupons and flyers in dorms.

“It does stem from him, because he had to market, and it takes a lot of money to market,” Weidner said.

Sanders strikes up a conversation with just about every customer that walks through his door.

“This is an outstanding community, it really is, but you have to be involved in it,” he said. “If you don’t make the effort, you’re just going to wither and not be a part of it.”

Sanders said he thinks the old owners didn’t realize how important it was to reach out.

“They didn’t get out there, they did not take the time to make sure they were a part of the community,” he said. “They just wanted the community to come to them.”

Zach Hunter, a UNC graduate, said he believes all of Sanders’ marketing strategies are making the Pita Pit one of the best places on Franklin Street.

“Josh, the owner, is the best,” Hunter said. “The food is fresh and great every time.”

And Sanders said he enjoys seeing students come to Pita Pit.

“I feel like I’m 24,” he said. “Having the kids come in, I feel like I am talking to my people, my peers.”