N.C. Sen. Peter Brunstetter, R-Forsyth, announced Thursday he will not seek to replace Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., in the U.S. Senate.

“I believe, like most people across North Carolina, that we must reclaim a Republican majority in the U.S. Senate in 2014,” Brunstetter said in a statement. “But that task must fall to someone else, as I have decided not to enter the race.”

Brunstetter is the co-chairman for the appropriations committee in the state Senate. His decision comes just days after N.C. Sen. President Pro Tempore Phil Berger announced on Monday that he will seek re-election in the state Senate and not bid for the U.S. seat.

N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis, R-Mecklenburg, announced in May that he is contending for Hagan’s seat.

Brunstetter’s full statement is below:

Since joining the Navy many years ago, much of my life has been devoted to public service. The prospect of continuing that service in the United States Senate and having the opportunity to help shape federal policy is an enticing one for me and my family.

I’m honored that so many friends and colleagues reached out to voice their support of my potential candidacy. I believe, like most people across North Carolina, that we must reclaim a Republican majority in the U.S. Senate in 2014. But that task must fall to someone else, as I have decided not to enter the race.

The Republican nominee will have my full support in the general election. Meanwhile, I will remain focused on the many critical issues facing the state of North Carolina as I continue my work in the NC Senate.