Replacement for former Sen. Kinnaird to be chosen

For 17 years, legislative assistant Kathie Young has been answering constituents’ phone calls on behalf of N.C. Sen. Ellie Kinnaird.

But for the past three weeks, Young has instead been telling callers that they’ve reached the N.C. Senate District 23 office.

After Kinnaird resigned from her ninth term in the state Senate on Aug. 19 to pursue a grassroots project in support of voting rights, the seat has remained empty as politicians and community activists clamor to fill it.

On Sunday, an executive committee composed of Democratic officials from Orange and Chatham counties will nominate her replacement, who will then be formally appointed by Gov. Pat McCrory. The replacement will serve during the N.C. General Assembly’s short session starting on May 14.

“I am, of course, disappointed we didn’t do it right away,” Kinnaird said, adding that the seat was empty when the Senate reconvened Wednesday to override McCrory’s two vetoes. “I think the people in the district deserve having someone in that position.”

There are seven candidates vying for Kinnaird’s seat: Alice Bordsen, a former representative for Alamance County; attorney Heidi Chapman; Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton; Rep. Valerie Foushee, D-Orange; attorney Lynette Hartsell; attorney James Porto, a former Carrboro mayor and author Amy Tiemann.

Those interested can submit their names up until the meeting starts at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Chatham Community Library.

Kinnaird, who has been vocal about her desire for a woman to take her place, said she has recommended Bordsen to the committee.

“She’s absolutely whom I want to be in that position,” she said, adding that Bordsen has worked with her on juvenile justice issues that could return to the Senate floor in the summer. “She could really hit the ground running.”

Matt Hughes, chairman of the Orange County Democratic Party, said he expects the committee to take Kinnaird’s recommendation into account, but that the members will also consider the candidates’ political involvement and their role in the Democratic Party.

“I think they’ll also be looking for a senator who will be able to help the Democratic Party play a more effective role in the minority (and get) back to the majority,” he said.

The voting members of the committee are Samantha Cabe and Wanda Hunter from Orange County, and Donald Knowles and George Lucier from Chatham County. N.C. Congressional District 4 chairman Ted Benson is the non-voting chairman of the committee.

Benson said he has not been involved in the committee members’ deliberations, but all the candidates are qualified in different ways.

“Some want to make a bold stand, and some want to make a bold stand but also work constructively with Republicans,” he said.

Kinnaird said Bordsen and Foushee both have experience in the legislature, but if one of the other candidates is chosen, she would work with that person to ease the transition.

And just as Kinnaird was one of the most progressive voices in the Senate, Hughes said her replacement will have the ability to bring up issues he or she feels is important.

“You can speak more powerfully,” he said. “(You have) a lot of ability to bring light to things that just aren’t being discussed in the Senate.”