Sexual assault forum emphasizes feedback and education

Sexual Assault Forum
(left to right)
1. Christy Lambden, Student Body President
2. Ew Quimbaya-Winship, Deputy Title IX Coordinator
3. Christi Hurt (Interim Title IX Coordinator)
4. Bob Pleasants (Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator)
Sexual Assault Forum (left to right) 1. Christy Lambden, Student Body President 2. Ew Quimbaya-Winship, Deputy Title IX Coordinator 3. Christi Hurt (Interim Title IX Coordinator) 4. Bob Pleasants (Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator)

Interim Title IX Coordinator Christi Hurt said the task force charged with rewriting UNC’s sexual assault policy hopes to finish its work before the end of the semester.

But she and three other members of the Sexual Assault Task Force, including Student Body President Christy Lambden, took time Monday to address students’ questions about the work they’ve been doing in a forum hosted by student government.

Though the new policy is not finished, Hurt said task force members are not waiting on the final product to start implementing their ideas.

“We’re working to build the system as we’re working to make sure the policy is currently still being used — as it’s being written — so people have what they need today,” said Hurt, the chairwoman of the task force.

When asked how UNC plans to implement better sexual assault education, the group mentioned an initiative to target incoming freshmen.

Bob Pleasants, Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator and a member of the task force, said UNC is increasing information about sexual assault at orientation.

All incoming students will soon be required to complete an online 45-minute module, which would cover abusive relations, sexual assault, consent and how to help a friend in need, he said.

Senior Sean Langberg, who attended the forum, said this is a good idea.

“These mandatory programs that aren’t optional, the more the better,” he said.

The task force also plans to work with the Interfraternity Council and Interactive Theatre Carolina to educate students, panel members said.

The members of the task force are looking at the possibility of incorporating sexual assault education into the Lifetime Fitness curriculum, too.

Deputy Title IX Coordinator Ew Quimbaya-Winship, a member of the task force, said the rewritten policy will serve as a living document that will be reviewed every year.

“The reason why it’s taking so long is because we are going through with a fine tooth comb,” he said.

He said they are still looking for an online reporting system that fits.

“We want to be there,” he said. “We want to fill that need. We’ll find someone that can do that.”

Pleasants also said the task force wants to emphasize that they are continuing UNC’s integration of confidential resources that include Counseling and Psychological Services and the Rape Crisis Center.

Junior Ekaterina Khvostova said the measures being taken will help other students feel safer.

“They were very willing to kind of coordinate student feedback with pushing (the Board of Trustees) and empowering students to be able to voice their concerns at the University,” she said. “And that’s something that I don’t think we saw a lot of last year.”

Staff Writer Bradley Saacks

contributed reporting