Legal expert discusses Syria

On Constitution Day, when most Americans think of their own country, the University took a different approach.

The UNC School of Law hosted guest speaker Scott Silliman, a UNC alumnus and Duke law professor who is a federal appellate judge on the U.S. Court of Military Commission Review. He believes much of the Constitution is applicable to the United States’ potential intervention in Syria.

Jack Boger, dean of the law school, said he invited Silliman to discuss the War Powers Act because Silliman is known throughout the country as an expert in national security and military law.

Silliman presented the powers of a president in regards to war as outlined by the War Powers Act and argued that these rules are vague and therefore quite contentious.

Silliman pointed out examples, including the “60-day limit” under the War Powers Resolution, which allows the president to deploy troops for a period of 60 days prior to Congress declaring war.

Silliman argued Congress’ purpose was not to give the armed forces 60 days of free weapon use, but the statement in the Constitution is so vague it could be construed this way.

“President Ford is the only one who provided information compliant with the War Powers Resolution,” he said.

“Every other president, including Obama in Libya, has said he is doing what he’s doing consistent with the War Powers Resolution.”

By only being consistent and not compliant, he said presidents only loosely follow these laws within the Constitution.

As the 60-day limit recently passed with U.S. forces still in Libya, Silliman said there is no easy answer to addressing the vagueness of the War Powers Act. He said Obama justified passing the 60-day limit because the U.S. is backing a NATO-led operation.

If the rule were to be followed strictly to the Constitution, Silliman said Obama could be impeached.

Josh Windham, a first-year law student, didn’t agree with everything, but he respects Silliman as an authority.

Silliman said everyone should be interested in current international diplomacy issues.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen with Obama, but one thing is sure: The Constitution will continue to stand.”