The Friday Interview

Chancellor Carol Folt laughs during an interview at the Dean Dome on August 18.

Chancellor Carol Folt wants you to know that she is aware of the spotlight shining on UNC right now, and she is ready to take full advantage of it.

Folt sees opportunity to become a leader in the greatness of public universities, beyond the scandals and afflictions that have been consuming the University’s image in the press over the past few years.

“Everything that happens here is of great interest to everybody, and that’s actually really powerful. I think that’s a belief in the institution that is to our advantage and to inherit that role really means a lot to me.”

As the most consuming of these problems, the athletic and academic scandals have the most potential and opportunity for UNC to become a leader on the national stage.

Folt is not scared to address these issues in order to provide some sense to a problem that has stumped universities, coaches and administrators since Harvard raced Yale in 1852.

Recently the Rawlings report came out with a litany of suggestions on how UNC could position itself as a leader in athletic reform.

“I think it was a call directly placed to us to take some national leadership and take advantage of the already leading position that we have and work with other institutions. So that’s how I view it.”

Folt said the report will serve as a great structure to how to proceed with the relationship between athletes and academics.

However, Folt was quick to admit that the athletic department was already involved, at least to some level, in implementing reforms prior to the recommendations released by the Rawlings report.

In the midst of Sports Illustrated’s series on Oklahoma State’s infractions, this leadership is needed now more than ever.

While the Rawlings report was ultimately issued as a response to UNC’s allegations, it is clearly applicable to many institutions across the nation.

The University also has the opportunity to provide leadership in the issue of Title IX compliance when dealing with sexual assault cases.

As UNC continues its search for a new Title IX coordinator, Folt remains optimistic in finding somebody who is up for the challenge.

“I feel that we are going to get someone that will be excellent, and I think that they’re going to be coming to North Carolina because they think they have a chance to show national leadership here.

And we’d like them to see this as a place where we can get it to work the best.”

This means not only repairing the school’s faulty protocol but also going beyond the public relations aspect to set an example nationally on how to foster an open and trusting relationship between students and their University.

But in this upcoming year, Folt doesn’t see these issues as the most difficult challenge facing her or the University.

“One of my biggest challenges is having people realize that the signs are not always about something like the Rawlings report. We have to take care of that, but the big issues for Carolina are what’s happening in the future for higher education.”

UNC makes national lists annually for providing a renowned and competitive education at an affordable price. Folt’s long-term challenges come in the form of attracting the best students, providing an accessible education and recruiting the most talented faculty to teach and research.

And that’s going to take intensive strategic planning.That means coordinating with administrators across the departments, meeting with chancellors of other institutions and inviting input from the student body — all while maintaining transparency throughout the entire process.

It’s a lot to juggle but Folt remains confident in UNC and retains a forward-looking mindset.

“When I look at it, it’s trying to embed what we have now in a future that is stronger than what has already made Carolina so strong.”