UNC Campus Y to give out $10,000

In a time of heavy cuts to UNC’s budget, many student groups have seen their budgets trimmed as well.

However, clubs aiming to promote social justice could get financial help from the Campus Y’s YFund, which received a $10,000 grant last spring that campus groups can benefit from.

The YFund is a source of seed money for innovative social justice initiatives on campus that is run by students in the Campus Y Development Committee. While in prior years YFund money was available only to organizations operating out of the Campus Y, money from the $10,000 grant will be made available to any campus social justice group.

“We’re there with them throughout the steps of the project,” said Madhu Vulimiri, co-director of the YFund’s Development Committee. “It’s cool to see the project go from an idea to fleshed out and detailed.”

Established two years ago, the YFund typically ran on $6,000 available exclusively to Campus Y committees. Last March, UNC’s Parents Council presented the Campus Y with the grant.

In order to receive funding, groups must fill out a written application, make a pitch for their project and create a way to evaluate their progress.

The YFund gives the project half the money to start with, and the rest of the money is dispersed when the group has reached its goal.

Long-term projects that deal with social justice in any way — such as minority empowerment or gender equality — are eligible for a grant from the program.

A past project that has benefited from this grant is a tutoring program called “Bringing Back Fridays,” headed by UNC’s Helping Youth by Providing Enrichment.

Three years ago, budget cuts shut down two of four family resource centers operated in Orange County by service group Chapel Hill Training-Outreach Project. The loss of funds also ended tutoring on Fridays for elementary school students at the Dobbins Hills and South Estes Family Resource Centers.

HYPE has used the money to bring back Friday tutoring at the centers and took a greater role in organizing “Fun Fridays” after-school programs. The club leads science experiments, arts and crafts or activities dealing with nutrition and healthy eating.

“Getting the YFund money helped us get enrichment materials and supplies in order to make the ‘Fun Fridays’ more educational and effective,” said Nariman Heikal, co-chairwoman of HYPE.

Another group that has used the YFund to jump-start its project is Students United for Immigrant Equality. The club hosted an Immigration Awareness Week last spring using money from the fund.
Maria Pia Rodriguez, co-chairwoman of SUIE, said she was grateful for the opportunities the YFund made possible for her organization, and that she was excited for the money to be available to organizations outside the Y.

“The YFund wants to make sure that they don’t reach out to just one group, but to everyone,” she said.

The YFund’s deadlines for applications this semester are Sept. 19, Oct. 17 and Nov. 7.