Adkins provides spark off bench for volleyball team

In yet another straight set sweep by the undefeated No. 14 North Carolina volleyball team, this time against a familiar opponent from earlier in the season, coach Joe Sagula had to look outside his starting rotation to help put the pesky Fighting Irish away for good.

But he didn’t have to look much further than the hot hand of junior outside hitter Lauren Adkins, who came off the bench to more than quadruple her career average kills per game and provide the spark needed to keep the Tar Heels’ 13-game win streak alive.

“That’s been her role,” Sagula said. “I was real excited for her. That was a big one for her, for building her confidence again.”

The 6-foot Florida native said it’s a role she’s gotten used to and one she’s been glad to fulfill.

“Everyone has a role on the team, and I guess mine is to come in and add energy as much as I can, so I try to do my best with that and just getting everyone fired up and if that’s by getting a block or getting a kill I’ll do whatever it takes to do that,” she said.

Adkins swung for a team-high .467 hitting percentage with nine kills, second only to graduate student Jovana Bjelica.

“I think I was just really focusing on being aggressive every time I got set, just when I have the opportunity to be smart and put the ball on the court,” she said.

Senior opposite hitter Kayla Berringer said the team appreciates the support Adkins provides in her role off the bench and the energy she brings into the game.

“Each player, whether they’re starting or not, plays a huge role in our team,” Berringer said. “Everyone is a key player on this team. Everyone can go in at any time and get the job done.”

Sagula said his team recognizes how important it is having so many different role players that can come out and make a difference in any game, and Adkins is happy to be a part of that.

“I think it honestly just shows the level of talent that we have, the amount of depth that we have, honestly at any point if someone’s not playing well there’s two or three more people behind them that could do just as well,” Adkins said. “It’s pretty important to our success so far this year.”

And Berringer agreed.

“We have 18 great players on our team that are all great to go out there and get the job done and at any time they’re confident in their abilities to do what they need to do,” she said.

Last time the Tar Heels faced Notre Dame back in the opening match of the season on Aug. 30, Adkins had five kills off the bench — a total she nearly doubled this time around.

“Both matches this year against Notre Dame she’s played extremely well,” Sagula said. “I think somehow maybe the tempo, how we play, we got her a faster ball tonight, and when we get her a faster ball she’s gonna take a good swing and find openings in the block.”

With two standout performances like that, it’s safe to say Sagula will turn back to No. 8 if a repeat match against the Irish occurs in the ACC tournament.

“Whenever we play Notre Dame, Lauren Adkins will be on the court,” Sagula said.