Monday, June 17, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Debate on increased fees continues

The Student Fee Advisory Subcommittee denied a proposed graduate school fee increase at a meeting Wednesday while continuing the discussion surrounding the proposed new parking fee via email.

The denied graduate school fee hike, which would have changed a onetime $52.50 fee to an annual $26.25 fee, will most likely be revisited in the spring. Representatives from the graduate school administration provided reasoning for the fee ranging from tutors to orientation costs.

“Graduate students are flatly opposed to any type of fee increase,” said Graduate School President Kiran Bhardwaj.

The subcommittee members are a combination of faculty, graduate students and undergraduate students including Student Body President Christy Lambden. This subcommittee is under the Tuition and Fee Advisory Task Force (TFATF) and recommends changes to the proposals that are submitted by different campus departments.

A controversial fee increase still under debate is the additional charge to the student transportation fee that is regulated by UNC Department of Public Safety. This new charge of $10.40 would be used to cover the costs of night parking on campus.

The new fee met resistance from the representatives in the subcommittee for a variety of reasons.

Lambden has said the new fee is charging students more while providing the same amount of services. In the subcommittee’s last official meeting, Bhardwaj expressed disagreement with the way DPS came up with the $10.40 amount.

The subcommittee was forced to schedule an additional meeting Wednesday in order to hear the graduate school fee proposal after discussions of the night parking fee dominated the two previous scheduled meetings.

“Representatives for the (student transportation fee) need to gather more data on night parking usage and its financial impact on the parking system,” said Graduate and Professional School Federation Treasurer Autumn McClellan in an email.

Both sides explained their reasons throughout a span of two subcommittee meetings but were unable to come to a consensus on the issue. It will go to the task force along with a recommendation from the subcommittee that is still in discussion.

DPS has proposed a new fee increase via email for the other section of the student transportation fee. The revised increase still includes the 51-cent increase for the P2P bus service but has lowered the increase to the Chapel Hill transit fee from $17.50 to $8.50.

Approval for this increase is pending as the subcommittee members continue to discuss it via email.

Other fee increases that will go to the task force for review include proposals from Campus Health, Campus Recreation and the Athletics department.

The task force is currently scheduled to meet twice this year, Oct. 28 and Nov. 5.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Orientation Guide