Notebook: UNC professors come for football practice

Football on 9/7 vs MTSU
Football on 9/7 vs MTSU

Teachers became students, the classroom became a practice field and Larry Fedora was the professor.

The North Carolina football coach spoke to a group of about 20 UNC professors after Wednesday’s chilly afternoon practice. Huddled together on the Navy Field bleachers, they asked Fedora to explain what they were seeing: Who’s on this field? Who’s on that field? Why is there music playing?

It was Invite Your Professor to Practice Day — something Fedora does every semester. Professors watch their students practice, tour the Loudermilk Center for Excellence in Kenan Stadium and then join their student athlete for dinner.

“They actually sit down and they actually talk and communicate,” Fedora said. “And the player, the kid, realizes that the professor is a normal person, and the professor finds out the kid is a normal person, too.”

Renner poised to return

Bryn Renner said he practiced with every intention of playing last week. He simply ran out of time.

His injured left foot didn’t allow him to cut the way he needed to, and redshirt sophomore Marquise Williams took over at quarterback in Renner’s stead at Virginia Tech.

Time shouldn’t be an issue leading into UNC’s next game. With a bye week this week, the Tar Heels won’t play until Oct. 17 in a Thursday night bout with Miami.

“I think it’s a huge advantage for me,” Renner said. “Just more opportunity to get in the training room and keep rehabbing it, and it feels a ton better today.”

Renner, who’s been practicing with UNC’s first team, said Tuesday he should be set to return against the Hurricanes. Fedora said Wednesday he expects him to play.

Tabb suspended

Junior tight end Jack Tabb has been suspended for the second time this season.

After sitting out two games for a violation of team rules, Tabb was ejected in his return Saturday against Virginia Tech after a late-game altercation. Per ACC rules, Tabb is automatically suspended for the first half of UNC’s next game against Miami.

Tabb tweeted from the locker room Saturday minutes after his ejection, saying, “To everyone I’m sorry for what just happened.” That tweet was quickly deleted.

“He’s made a couple of bad decisions here, but I can assure you this: It doesn’t change the way I think about Jack or the fact that I love Jack,” Fedora said. “If he makes bad decisions, he’s going to face the consequences of those decisions like a man.”