Randee Haven-O'Donnell: Candidate for Carrboro Board of Aldermen

Haven-O'Donnell is a four-term incumbent

With less than a week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Carrboro Board of Aldermen candidates to discuss major issues facing the board. Election day is Nov. 5.

Candidate: Randee Haven-O’Donnell

Age: 62

Daily Tar Heel: What do you think are the biggest issues in this election?

Haven-O’Donnell: In my estimation, expanding the tax base is one side of it, and the flip side is affordability. Looking at those two together is very important. There is a double-edged sword for top priority. I look at our sustainability and resilience in both of those things.

DTH: El Centro Hispano’s Carrboro location has to close its Carrboro location due to high rent and the building’s inability to support a spot for day laborers to wait for work. Do you think the town should step in and help El Centro find a new location?

Haven-O’Donnell: We are, we always have been. We work closely with them. Through the day laborer tax force, we have a community relations person that we use to define their roles. We are definitely partnering as best we can to help move El Centro, but also other worker centers. I am dedicated to that, having worked as a migrant worker back in the day.

DTH: Do you think the town should’ve already provided a location for the day laborers to stand since they are currently waiting for work at the corner of Jones Ferry and Davie roads?

Haven-O’Donnell: Yes, but in terms of us providing it, the town doesn’t have properties that would work for that. We have looked at properties and explored their viability. To get a place is not just to find land, but it is also important to have the resources. El Centro is in a good position to find space, not just for itself but also as a worker center.

DTH: Why are you the best candidate for the job?

Haven-O’Donnell: One of the things that makes me unique in campaigning is that I taught in the Chapel Hill-Carborro school district for 19 years. I started with the children and their parents, and now the children are parents and I know their children.

I have a vertical view of the community and a sense of what hometown means generationally. That’s unique because this perspective is one that gives you a chance to see multiple roles and goals and what community looks like over the course of a lifetime.