Monday August 8th

Sammy Slade: Candidate for Carrboro Board of Aldermen

Slade is a two-term incumbent

With less than a week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Carrboro Board of Aldermen candidates to discuss major issues facing the board. Election Day is Nov. 5.

Candidate: Sammy Slade

Age: 38

Daily Tar Heel: What do you think are the biggest issues in this election?

Slade: The biggest issues are affordable housing, dealing with climate change and supporting the local economy and import substitution.

DTH: The board has spent a lot of time discussing ways of improving the availability of housing in Carrboro. You still oppose the Claremont South development, which could bring 900,000 square feet of residential units to Carrboro. How do you reconcile this?

Slade: Claremont South is where the charter school is going to be sited. The developers came for us and that should be going forward with that. For affordable housing, we are working on building smaller units to bring the cost down.

DTH: Why are you the best candidate for the job?

Slade: I very much understand climate change. I’ve been the leader on the board for this issue. I’ve had experience before being on the board as the chair of the local economy task force, which supports young business. I’ve been on the affordable housing tax force as well, where we identify ways to make housing affordable.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022