'Water in Our World' theme extended into 2014-15

When Liz Morris traveled to Peru in 2010, she was shocked to discover people worried about where to use the bathroom.

Morris, a former graduate student at UNC, said she was inspired by her research in Peru to invent a toilet called the Dungaroo that provides a waterless, sanitary bathroom option for people in developing countries.

Morris worked under Jamie Bartram, director of the Water Institute at the Gillings School of Global Public Health, during her time at UNC.

“When we were talking about what I could research, (Bartram) was like, ‘How would you feel about packaging poop?’” Morris said. “I came in totally wanting to do something very different and ended up working on the effects sanitation has on water safety, water drinkability, water access.”

In 2011, the same year Morris created her company, Sanitation Creations, Bartram and geography professor Larry Band proposed a two-year pan-campus theme called “Water in Our World” to the UNC Faculty Council. “Water in Our World” was set to end in 2014, but last week the Faculty Council approved the theme to be extended into the 2014-15 school year.

The budget for “Water in Our World” for 2012-13 was $110,000. Bartram, co-chairman of the “Water in Our World” steering committee, said the committee has asked Chancellor Carol Folt for a slight increase in funding this year. The budget goes to shared funding, which goes to student groups, performances, visiting speakers, teaching and research.

Bartram said the idea of a campus theme aims to bring the different schools and departments at UNC together with one unifying, global focus.

“It is difficult to identify an issue that can span the huge diversity that we have on campus,” Bartram said. “Water is something that anyone can relate to.

“It’s not just a technical subject matter — it has symbolism and imagery.”

Bartram said many U.S. universities have themes, but he said these are much more modest compared to the expansive influence of “Water in Our World” at UNC.

“This is an investment in making Carolina relevant to the future,” he said.

Morris said the interdisciplinary aspect of “Water in Our World” is what made it possible for her to start Sanitation Creations. She said she wrote her first business plan for Sanitation Creations in a sustainable business class taught by professor Carol Seagle Hee.

Hee, a member of the steering committee, said the theme has highlighted the more philanthropic aspect of the Kenan-Flagler Business School.

“Although we focus on profits, we do not solely care about that,” she said. “We are concerned about the environment and society.”

Hee said she has incorporated water issues into the courses she teaches on sustainable enterprise and environmental strategy at the business school. She said the business school has also brought speakers, such as former Procter & Gamble CEO Bob McDonald, to talk about their companies’ responses to global water issues.

Bartram said he knows not all students are interested in working with water issues, but he said water availability is already one of the most important issues facing the world and will only continue to become more crucial in coming years.

“The future of humankind, whether it’s in the First World or the Third World, is going to be significantly driven by the way we deal with water,” Bartram said. “Some of the future crises will be focused around water, and that means people who can manage water effectively will be in demand.”