Bench scorers help North Carolina women's soccer

Cameron Castleberry (left) celebrates with Brooke Elby after scoring her first career goal in the 35th
minute against Duke Thursday at Fetzer Field. UNC took the match 3-0 and will play again Sunday.

On a night when ghosts and ghouls ran wild, the scariest thing Duke would see was the North Carolina women’s soccer team’s potent offense.

In a 3-0 victory against the Blue Devils, it was the usual suspects taking shots early, Crystal Dunn, Kealia Ohai, Summer Green all aiming to tally UNC’s first goal.

But none of those usual faces would be successful.

Instead it was a surprising face that will haunt Duke’s keeper.

Cameron Castleberry entered the game in the 36th minute, just before a UNC throw in.

She wasted no time.

Hanna Gardner threw in the ball from the left side of the field, finding senior Kelly McFarlane, who played it back to Castleberry.

Her first shot was deflected by a Duke defender, but she gathered the miss and fired a shot into the upper right corner just out of the reach of Duke’s 6-foot-2 goalie.

And just 33 seconds after Castleberry checked in, she found the back of the net, and was lifted into the arms of her teammates.

“There’s a lot of factors, Halloween, playing Duke, first goal,” Castleberry said.

“I was just beyond excited.”

She said that all of her teammates were just as excited for her as she was.

“Everyone was just so supportive and congratulating me,” Castleberry said.

Her goal opened the scoring, but it would not be the last for the Tar Heels, who would add two more insurance goals in the second half.

Just a minute and a half into the second period, Brooke Elby added a second UNC goal, scoring off assists from Megan Brigman and Green.

Elby said that while Castleberry’s goal was the first of her career, it came as no surprise to the team.

“In her head is sheer excitement, Cam (Castleberry) has been working her butt off lately, and it’s really showing,” Elby said.

“Seeing her face right after she scored, she was just out of her mind excited, and for the team it puts us in a great position up 1-0.”

Green would add a goal of her own later in the game.

Dunn earned a penalty kick after she was taken down in the box by two Duke defenders.

Green took the penalty shot, and drilled it into the upper left corner well out of the goalie’s reach.

Coach Anson Dorrance lauded himself for a “brilliant substitution,” but admitted it was tongue-in-cheek.

“Yeah of course all of us on the bench are patting ourselves on the back,” Dorrance said.

“Obviously she’s part of a substitution pattern, but she’s earned her stripes, she’s been a big difference.

“She could be a significant player for us in the future.”

UNC played tonight’s game against Duke with its seeding in the upcoming ACC Tournament still uncertain.

After Virginia defeated Virginia Tech, and Florida State beat Notre Dame in double overtime, UNC’s seed in the ACC tournament was finalized.

UNC will be the No. 3 seed, and will host a home game on Sunday against Boston College.

Thursday’s game against Duke is another showing of UNC’s talented bench, and another statement of the depth that UNC boasts.

And after getting goals from two players who had yet to score this season, UNC’s opponents will have more to focus on than just the usual suspects.