D.C. Swinton: Candidate for Chapel Hill Town Council

Swinton is a newcomer

With less than a week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Chapel Hill Town Council candidates to discuss major issues facing the council. Election Day is Nov. 5.

Candidate name: D.C. Swinton

Age: 25

Daily Tar Heel: What is the biggest issue facing the Town of Chapel Hill?

Swinton: The response to the University’s sexual assault issues. The Town needs to pursue a collaboration with Carrboro and the University to combat sexual assault and to aid victims. The time is now for the Town and the University to act on this.

DTH: How do you think you can represent the youth of Chapel Hill when you have not lived here for a very long time?

Swinton: I don’t think my relatively short duration of time in Chapel Hill is a hindrance to representing the youth. I imagine I’m not the only 20-something new to the area. It’s always been a part of my platform that I go to the voters (young and mature) to find out what their concerns/issues are with Chapel Hill, and what kind of action they’d like to see. You could be here for 15 months or 15 years and recognize which issues are present, i.e., the need to enhance the Town’s response to interpersonal violence.

DTH: What experience do you have that prepares you to be the best for the job?

Swinton: I would represent low income individuals on the Town Council. I would represent people like me so that low income people in Chapel Hill have a voice. We need to work towards a living wage.