Loren Hintz: Candidate for Chapel Hill Town Council

Hintz is a newcomer

With less than a week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Chapel Hill Town Council candidates to discuss major issues facing the council. Election Day is Nov. 5.

Candidate name: Loren Hintz

Age: 57

Daily Tar Heel:

Hintz: The implementation of the Chapel Hill 2020 plan. There are a lot of good ideas. The tough step is to now implement them.

DTH: You helped develop some of the town’s transportation plans. How does it make you feel that three people were struck and killed last month in as many days on Chapel Hill roads?

Hintz: I feel very sad about the deaths. The hit and run deaths of the cyclists were criminal and it was obvious the driver of the vehicle was not paying attention. Everyone should drive anticipating something may happen so they can avoid accidents even if they have the right of way.

For decades we have been trying to make Chapel Hill safer for pedestrian and cyclists. I’m hopeful that we will finally implement the suggested infrastructure improvements. All Chapel Hill schools should have sidewalks by now and it is crazy that some still lack them. While I was campaigning today I noticed drivers ignoring people at crosswalks. We have to increase the education and enforcement of the safety rules.

DTH: What experience do you have that prepares you to be the best for the job?

Hintz: I have lived in Chapel Hill since 1992 and I have been active in the community. I have been active in the Sierra Club and am currently on the Orange County Commission for the Environment. Additionally, I have served on the Chapel Hill Transportation Board. I was the chair of that board for three years. Additionally, I taught at Chapel Hill High School for 19 years and am the president of my neighborhood organization.