Vote to come on whether UNC will remain in ASG

This weekend, the UNC-system Association of Student Governments met at Appalachian State University to discuss issues ranging from student voting to increasing the maximum GPA across the system.

The meeting comes on the heels of UNC-CH Student Government’s vote for a student referendum to decide the University’s place in the association. Students will vote Friday on whether they want to remain in ASG, which is funded by an annual $1 student fee and is composed of student delegates from across the system.

Among the resolutions passed was the proposal to support the U.S. Department of Justice’s lawsuit against the state’s voter ID law and a resolution to oppose increases in taxes for students starting in January.

The voter ID resolution was initially proposed during the October meeting, when it was tabled for further discussion. The resolution voiced support of the lawsuit, which was filed on the grounds of disenfranchisement of citizens, especially minorities and college students.

In all, four resolutions were passed, and two were tabled. During the October meeting, only one resolution was proposed, and it was tabled before discussion.

The association passed two other resolutions, one in support of UNC-system President Tom Ross’ stance on freezing in-state tuition, and another encouraging campuses to support students voting on Election Day. The association tabled a resolution to increase the maximum GPA to A , a 4.33 value, but cap overall GPA at 4.0.

“The last meeting left a bad taste in everyone’s mouths,” said ASU Student Body President Dylan Russell. “(But) the fact that we were able to pass four resolutions is a tremendous accomplishment for the association.”

Another resolution passed in opposition of dining and ticket taxes on college students. A recent state tax reform bill, House Bill 998, signed into law by Gov. Pat McCrory in July, removes a tax exemption for college students and levies a 6.75 percent tax on dining food and tickets for campus events, both athletic and non-athletic. The tax starts Jan. 1.

“For every $100, that’s $6.75 in taxes,” ASG President Robert Nunnery said. “That’s feasibly one less meal for students.”

Speaker of UNC-CH Student Congress Connor Brady said he is still dissatisfied with ASG’s performance.

“We haven’t seen any big changes,” he said.

Although some delegates said the meeting lacked discussion about structural reform, Nunnery said a day will be set aside at the December meeting to discuss reform.

Shelby Hudspeth, director of state and external relations for UNC-CH’s executive branch, said the meeting was an improvement from last month.

“Everyone came with their A-game,” she said. “There were still people being sassy and bickering — but that’s going to happen whenever you get 50 college students into a room.”