Dorm safety discussion continues amidst recent incidences

The victims of break-ins at their on-campus residences believe UNC could be doing more to ensure their safety.

This semester, there have been many security breeches, including multiple robberies, a breaking-and-entering and a peeping incident all occurring on campus.

Sophomore Morgan Herman — whose high-end camera was stolen from her room in Ruffin Residence Hall — said she believes the University should know who is going in and out of residency halls.

“My idea would be putting a security camera in on every entrance on every dorm,” Herman said.

“I just thought it was ridiculous that there were no security cameras in a dorm so close to Franklin. We pay so much money every year, and I just want to feel safe in my dorm.”

UNC Department of Public Safety Spokesman Randy Young said the department has not noticed a tangible increase in crime on campus this semester.

According to the 2013 Campus Safety Report, in 2012 there were 29 incidents of breaking and entering on campus and one robbery.

“If you look at a specifically very small piece of time then it may reflect an increase, but if you look at the entire semester or the entire year, more than likely, you are going to see it even out,” Young said.

Laura Carroll, the victim of the peeping incident at Connor Residence Hall in October, said UNC should increase the security around campus, such as by using a sign-in process where residents show their OneCard before entering their residence hall.

“I think there’s a fine line between protecting students’ freedom and mobility and also protecting their safety,” she said.

After the incident, some residence halls reactivated bathroom flex pass locks that had been disabled over the summer and never reactivated.

Rick Bradley, associate director of the housing department, said there ha ve not been any other incidents this year due to faulty flex pass readers.

He also said in the wake of the peeping incident, residential advisors check the flex passes on their usual rounds.

Another breaking and entering incident occurred in November. Freshman Addie Jeffs, a Granville Towers resident, said she was terrified when an unknown man entered her dorm room in the middle of the night.

“I feel less safe in my dorm,” Jeffs said. “I know it was my fault in leaving my room unlocked, but I think the University should do more to ensure student safety especially in dorms.”

Freshman Taylor Petroski lives in West tower of Granville, and despite being out of town during the incident, she said she is now very conscious of locking her room at night.

She also said most on-campus security breeches happen at night and proposed that Granville checks the ID’s of those entering the building after a certain time.

Herman said UNC should supply a safe environment for its students.

“I lock my door now when I go take a shower, which I think is ridiculous because it is like 15 feet down the hall,” Herman said.

“I just don’t think it’s fair for me to feel unsafe in my own room.”