As of Tuesday night, five students are in the running for UNC Student Body President.
Though they submitted their paperwork in the early evening, juniors Winston Howes, Manoj Mirchandani, Andrew Powell, Nikita Shamdasani and Emilio Vicente were prohibited from campaigning before midnight.
The campaign season also started for the students seeking to be presidents of the Residence Hall Association, Graduate and Professional School Federation and senior class officers. There are also various seats of Student Congress up for grabs.
The campaign schedule
On Tuesday, five students submitted their candidacy for Student Body President. Candidates are required to meet the necessary deadlines to be eligible:
- Jan. 25: 1,250 signatures are due to the Board of Elections by 5 p.m.
- Candidates who do not have the necessary signatures will be given a 24-hour grace period
- Campaigning will continue for the next two weeks
- Feb. 11: The election will be held from 12 a.m. until 8 p.m.
- Feb. 18: If necessary, there will be a runoff election between candidates
To be put on the ballot, candidates for all positions are required to get their designated numbers of signatures by Tuesday at 5 p.m. The election will take place Feb. 11, and students can vote online at the UNC Student Life website.
The candidates have already planned the directions in which they each would like to lead UNC.