Alert Carolina reviews timeliness

Tyler Jacon is the chairman of the Student Safety and Security Committee, but even he didn’t get the Alert Carolina safety warnings promptly during Saturday’s strong storms.

Weather conditions in Chapel Hill were so severe Saturday that a tornado warning was issued by an Alert Carolina message via text message — but a slight minority of students did not immediately receive the warning.

Jacon said the message was late on his Sprint-serviced cellphone.

Students with certain cell phone carriers might receive the Alert Carolina messages later than others, but there was no real lapse in Alert Carolina technology Saturday, Jacon said.

“It seems like it was limited to certain carriers,” he said.

Randy Young, spokesman for UNC’s Department of Public Safety, said the department does a review after each Alert Carolina is issued. So far, he said the department has received positive reviews about the response to the tornado.

Alert Carolina messages were sent out through email and text. On Saturday, the sirens on campus sounded an alarm as well.

“It acted as the system was activated and did what it was supposed to do,” he said. “I can’t confirm what the service issues were. The sirens acted as they were supposed to.”

Jacon said he thought the system has worked effectively this academic year.

He also said the responses last semester to the fire at Cobb Residence Hall and the armed robbery on Halloween were well handled.

“The system is designed to use as many modes of communication as possible, you still get the email, the sirens. The text wasn’t even that informative, it was pretty broad but the email was pretty informative,” he said.

“There wasn’t any lapse or notification issues. It may be worth looking into why some people didn’t get it.”

South Moore, co-chairman of the Executive Branch Public Safety Committee, said the committee discussed the text message issues at their meeting.

“There’s always a certain number of text messages that for some reason don’t get sent in a timely manner, and that has to do with phone service.”

He said the committee is also working on adding desktop notifications for Alert Carolina in the future.

University Editor Amanda Albright contributed reporting.