Kenan-Flagler close to new dean

After four months of searching, Douglas Shackelford was recommended as dean of the Kenan-Flagler Business School to the Board of Trustees by Chancellor Carol Folt and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Jim Dean.

The board will vote today on his approval.

Shackelford has served as the Associate Dean of the online MBA@UNC program since 2010 and has taught in the school since 1990.

“I had the opportunity to meet with the very talented candidates for this important role at UNC,” Folt said in a statement. “Ultimately, Doug became the clear choice to lead UNC Kenan-Flagler and ensure its continued success.”

Shackelford, who will replace interim dean Jack Evans, is scheduled to take over the position Feb. 1.

Shackelford graduated from the business school in 1980 and said he is grateful for the opportunity to give back.

“I’ve held a lot of different positions here,” he said in an interview. “I love the University, and I love the business school, and I was encouraged by a lot of people to put my name in the hat.”

Shackelford said two of the biggest challenges the school faces are budget cuts and the changing nature of higher education. The dean of the school is also a key figure for University-wide fundraising campaigns.

“Part of it is just sort of figuring out where things are going and where Kenan-Flagler should position itself, and what we should do to be of a greater service to our students — our current students, and the students that will be coming in future years,” he said.

Susan King, dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and chairwoman of the dean search committee, said members were looking for someone who would continue the school’s digital education efforts.

“As a search committee, we were very aware of the strength of the Kenan-Flagler business school at this moment,” King said. “It is seen as a very bold school, it is experimenting on the digital front with its online portfolio. It is seen as a school with a very serious research commitment and strong scholars.”

Shackelford said he is excited about the position and has big plans but does not quite know what to expect.

“I played a lot of sports growing up and it sort of feels like the feeling you have before a big game, you’re very excited and you’re also a little understandably and appropriately nervous. I would say that’s kind of how I feel.”